Chapter 27 - The Second Task

Few days later

Harry's POV

Morning wasn't great today. The sky, as observed from the window, was gray-casted with clouds. My life was already a hell. I and Ron went to the Great Hall. Hermione, as always, was reading something, at the Gryffindor Table. We went to her. "Hey... Hermione!" She looked up from her book and glared at us. She rolled her eyes and went back to reading, I nodded to Ron. He sat down "Uh, look. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that. I am mental, you know that."

At this, Hermione looked up and glared at him. Ron pleaded, "Please?"

Hermione couldn't resist. She started to laugh, and smiled at him. "Fine. Whatever."

Ron sat down across her. I followed him. "No, Hermione. Not whatever. I was really apologetic already when I realised." Just then, Y/n climbed down from the staircase. She eyed us, but passed and sat far away. "Well, Hermione. Harry told me about what happened that night. Harry wants to apologise—"

"Look, Harry and Ron. I feel bad about breaking it to you, but," she eyed Y/n, "I don't think she's going to forgive anyone."

"No one?" Ron asked.

"No, especially she seems determined about not forgiving Harry."

"I told you Ron! I've hurt her too many times to be forgiven now," I said, and got up walking out. "Wait Harry!" Both called me in unison. They signalled me to wait Hermione approached to Y/n, Ron following her and dragging me with him. But before Hermione could speak, Y/n stood up, "I'm going to the library. You want to come or not?"

"Y/n, I—"

"YES or NO?"

She shook her head. "Alright," she replied, rather flatly. I tried to stop staring at her, but my eyes didn't follow my heart and head.

"OH MY GOD!! WHAT'S FRED AND GEORGE DOING THERE?" Ron caught them planning some mischief and advanced towards them. I sighed. Knowing, I had no work in the Great Hall anymore, I went to have a walk in the bridge. Hermione followed me.

I was viewing the landscape from the bridge. Hermione came rushing to me.

"Leave me alone, Hermione!"

"Ronald's mental, isn't he?"

"He accepted that himself."

We laughed at that. There was silence.

Hermione spoke, "Harry, you told me you'd figure the egg out weeks ago! The task is two days from now."

"Really? I had no idea," I said sarcastically, "I suppose Viktor's already figured it out."

"I wouldn't know, we didn't actually talk about the tournament. Actually, we didn't talk at all, Viktor's more of a physical being..." Hermione blurted out. I couldn't resist, I mean, you know what I mean to say. We both started grinning. Hermione went on correcting her phrasing of the sentence, "I just mean he's not particularly loquacious."

"Mhmm," I gave her a smirk.

"Mostly he watches me study. It's a bit annoying actually. You're trying to figure this egg out, aren't you?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean that these tasks are supposed to test you, in the most brutal way they're almost cruel. And um, I am scared for you. You got the dragon mostly on nerve, I'm not sure it's going to be enough this time."

"HEY POTTER!!" someone called me. I turned around. It was Cedric. "POTTER!!"

"Cedric?"

"How... how are you?"