Chapter 35 - Falling For You

Harry's POV

I was strolling in the courtyard in the evening, when I was met with Umbridge. I frowned slightly, "Ah, Mr Potter. I was hoping to catch you," she handed me a letter, "you'll be in detention with me every evening for a week from now onwards."

"Why?"

"You know very well why," she paused, "also, I hope you'll very perfectly handle that letter to Minerva." She chuckled. before walking away. What the hell? Do I have to go through that burning sensation every day for a week now?

Feeling hopeless, I walked up to professor McGonagall's office, and knocked.

"Come in."

I walked in. Professor's head raised itself behind her desk, "Potter, why aren't you in the dorms yet?"

"I was sent to see you and hand you this letter," I replied, settling the letter in my hand on her desk. She picked it up. and tapped her wand on it, after which she read the content.

"Well, is it true?"

"Is what true?" I asked, my tone more aggressive than I had intended, and I realised I had to be more polite, "professor?" I added.

"Is it true that you shouted at Professor Umbridge?"

"Yes," I replied.

"You called her a liar?"

"Yes."

"You told her He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back?"

"Yes."

She looked at me for a few seconds, reading my expressions. "Have a biscuit, Potter."

"Have a— what?"

"Have a biscuit," she repeated, "and sit down."

It took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting this reaction from her. I sat down.

★ timeskip ★

I was early the next morning. I had decided of sending Sirius a letter on the school's situation.

I told him about everything that was going on. On my way back to the castle, I took some time off to stroll along the Forbidden Forest. When I went there, I met Luna Lovegood, who was feeding the Thestrals.

"Hello, Harry Potter," she greeted with a smile.

"Your feet. Aren't they cold?"

"Bit. Unfortunately, all my shoes have mysteriously disappeared. I suspect the Nargles are behind it."

I looked at the thestrals, "They..."

"They're called Thestrals."

"Yeah, Y/n told me about them."

The creatures wailed, "They're quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they're a bit different."

"Um. I found out that they can be seen by only those who've seen death. So you've known someone who's died, then?"

"My mum. She was quite an extraordinary witch, but she did like to experiment... and one day, one of her spells went badly wrong. I was nine."

"I'm sorry."

"Yes, it was rather horrible. I do feel very sad about it sometimes, but I've got Dad," she took a pause, "We both believe you, by the way... that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and you fought him... and the Ministry and the Prophet are conspiring against you."

"Thanks. It seems you're about the only ones that do."

"I don't think that's true. But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel."