Chapter 1 - The First Day

(Y/N) woke up to the sound of the new alarm she'll grow to hate. Shutting it off, she stretched and yawned, ready to start her first day.

Taking out the silver case she was given, she opened it and pulled out a long white trench coat-like lab coat that stopped at her lower legs. The coat had two large pockets and her badge with her name sewn in on a breast pocket and the company logo on the back.

Stepping out of her closet, (Y/N) wore a long sleeve (f/c) shirt, a dark grey pencil skirt, stockings, and black heels. The dress code most female Keepers followed. She slipped on her coat and examined herself in the mirror.

"Wow, don't you look nice."

Startled, (Y/N) quickly turned around to see Blythe standing in the doorway.

"How did you-"

"You forgot to lock your door." Blythe walked into the room and handed       (Y/N) a tablet and tablet case with a long strap. "As you do studies on your demons, you'll put down all the info into this tablet. Once a week, you have to submit reports of anything new you learn to the Researchers so they can analyze and confirm your demons for experiments by the Scientists."

(Y/N) put the tablet in its case and carried it as she followed Blythe out. "What kind of experiments?"

"Well, I don't know for sure what they do exactly. But they say it's all to learn more about them, their abilities, where they came from. Us Keepers and Capturers aren't really told much about it.'

    "Hm." (Y/N) hummed. She wondered why that was the case. Her mind thought back to I9 and how the scientists could actually experiment on that thing. "Have they ever taken I9?"

"About 5 times. I9 is one of our most active class A demons, there's always something new about it. Just recently, I sent a report in about it suddenly being able to mimic people." Blythe nervously chuckled, "Never knew how creepy it was to hear your own voice coming from something else."

The two walked all the way to the labs together. (Y/N) was a bit curious about the scary demon after yesterday and asked if she can see I9. That silhouette just didn't stay out of her mind. Blythe didn't mind. A lot of people wanted to see the thing when it was first brought in. (Y/N) observed Blythe's expression, not believing how calm she was as they approached the dreaded cell. At the moment, the outer glass wall was covered by a wall of steel, hiding what resides inside. Thinking back to when the steel wasn't there, (Y/N) shuddered.

"Doesn't it frighten you? I9 I mean."

"Hmm... Not as much as when I first got assigned to it. I guess I'm just used to being around it." When they reached the cell, Blythe took out a card different from (Y/N)'s. Instead of it being blue, the card was red with the text 'Class A Keeper's Only' on it in black. She hesitates putting it into the lock but swiped it anyways. "I'll lift the wall so you can see it. Oh and some advice, we don't get told this but we can control the cells with our tablets. It's easier than having to ask all the time from the intercom. I always keep the steel wall down while working so others won't have to see I9. I'm sure it gives some people nightmares." She chuckled at the end.

Blythe waved goodbye and entered the cell, (Y/N) waved back and watched as the wall slowly lifted up. Even though the redhead warned her, (Y/N)'s curiosity got the best of her. She peeked under the rising wall and saw the most grotesque thing her eyes have ever laid on.

I9 looked to be a tall decrepit man with several arms poking out of all parts of its upper body. Skinny veins and muscles pumped against its sickly grey skin and the head had no facial features besides two dark holes that were supposed to be where the eyes rested. Same as yesterday, it sat in that slumped position with its head tilted on its right shoulder and all its arms falling to the floor. Its skinny decaying legs, barely able to support the upper body, looked broken and limp. It was horrible! Thinking back to what Mr. Fidero told her, the demon didn't seem to react at all to Blythe or the girl staring at it.