Chapter 52 - The Bad Feeling

Something definitely happened while she was gone...

    It didn't take long for her to notice the tense air that whirled like a tornado between Ki and Akai, and she was right in the middle of it...

    Ki was on her left holding her hand tightly like she'll slip away at any second, squeezing it every so often while Akai had an arm around her body, giving her heat during the growing snow storm but also leaving her locked against him. She stole a few quick peeks at them and she could tell that they were both contemplating something with dark looks. That something may not be good...

     Ever since she reunited with the two demons, she couldn't help but think that they were missing something. It felt off to her with just them three traveling together. Then she realized that they were missing a guy. The demon doctor was nowhere to be found. She hoped that he didn't disappear, she wanted to thank him for trying his best to protect her, not to mention for fixing up her shoulder a few weeks ago, she still hasn't thanked him properly for that. "Where's Yama?"

    Her voice broke through the tense air like a bullet. It seemed like both demons were in their own headspaces when she interrupted. Ki huffed and looked away while Akai was the one to answer. "He left."

"He left, again? Will he be back?"

"No/Yes." When they both answered at the same time, they instantly glared at each other. The Keeper had to shrink away from the literal daggers she could see flying past her head. Something definitely happened and it was only gonna get worse. "You two alright...?" They stopped walking in the middle of a barren street with potholes that were filled with freezing water and debris that came from a blown out shop they had passed a few minutes ago. She could see that Akai's eyes were slowly turning red but when he noticed her looking, he pulled her closer to him and started walking again, not caring about the dark demon behind him. "I'm fine, I don't know about Sir Quiet though."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ki retorted.

    (Y/N) tried looking back at him but Akai kept her from doing so. "What do you think? You just haven't been the most, what's the word...? Trustful lately."

"So that's it? You don't trust me anymore? You're just gonna listen to what your liar of a brother had said?"

    (Y/N)'s eyes widened as Akai stopped once again. He turned his head to look at the demon with a questioning expression before snickering lowly. "So you heard all of that?"

'Heard what?' What were they talking about?

    Ki didn't think this was a laughing matter. He crossed his arms and stood his ground, he didn't appreciate being talked about so badly behind his back. "If anyone's going to do some betrayal, it's you. You're the type to do something stupid like that."

"Oh, is that how you feel~?" Akai smirked. "What if I just..."

    (Y/N) felt her body be lifted off the ground and tossed over the blond's shoulder. She yelped and saw that Akai was about to take off running. 'What is he doing?!'

     Four dark misty portals appeared on all sides of them, blocking any chance of the demon running off. Akai bit his lip in thought, finding the trap clever but not smart enough, he can easily jump away and be off on his merry way with his girl. He walked through one of the portals though and came out right in front of Ki who looked ready to rip his head clean off.

"See, I was right." Ki muttered as he circled him. The cold wind flowing through his hair made him look more eery to (Y/N). "You would run off with her with no hesitation. Yet I'm the untrustful one."