Chapter 29 - The Escape

Art doesn't belong to me.
————————————————————

    (Y/N) walked the halls of Castor Labs, confused.

    There wasn't anyone anywhere. It was still the afternoon so the place should still be pretty busy. She tried finding at least one person to talk to as she made her way to the labs but she wasn't having any luck.

"What's going on?" She muttered. When she turned a corner, she started hearing voices in a separate hall in the same direction she was headed. Her feet picked up the pace as she quickly made her way over to the entrance to the labs and her eyes widened at the scene.

    Several guards were blocking the entrance but the boss himself, Mr. Fidero was trying to get inside. He looked panicked as he tried squeezing through the guards but they wouldn't allow him to step foot inside. "Please! My niece is in there! I demand that you let me in!"

"Sir! We can't let anyone in or out! You'll have to wait for the military to get here!"

    (Y/N) hid behind the corner before any of them could see her. 'Why is he trying so hard to get inside?'

    One of the guards walkie talkies sparked to life with the sounds of yelling and gunfire being played. (Y/N) couldn't make it out exactly but it sounded like "IT-TS...CELLS...OPENING CELLS"

    Suddenly, a loud boom could be heard from inside the labs. Both guards turned to look and Mr. Fidero took this opportunity to shove them aside and race on in, yelling a name as he went. "BRENDA!"

"HEY!" The guards yelled as they raced after him. They left the entrance wide open and (Y/N) slowly crept up to get a look inside. She looked around at the dark area, the lights were out or flickering and the distant sounds of gunfire and yelling could be heard. Something bad was happening. 

    Was this related to why she was called in? Did something get out? She debated if she should leave or not, she didn't want to ignore orders but she didn't want to stick around for whatever was going on. She decided to leave, if the guards weren't letting Mr. Fidero in, then they might not have let her in either. This wasn't a place she should be in now.

    Before she could turn to leave the labs, gunfire that sounded closer than ever shocked the girl and made her lose her grip on the door. She fell forward into the labs which caused the doors to close behind her from not sensing anyone in the way. Her eyes widened as she turned around to the dim labs, something was going on and she is not supposed to be here. It wasn't safe to be here and she didn't want to stick around enough to find out why.

'Wait! My cell!' She thought. If she can't leave the labs, she'll just go to her cell and wait things out. The cells are built to keep demons inside and out so it was the next best option.

...But it's on the second floor.

"Why do I get myself in these situations?" She groaned. The cell wasn't far but she didn't know if any guards would be around or demons that she hoped didn't escape. Maybe the situation was different from what she is thinking but it was still unnerving her.

    Instead of taking the elevator, which would be a bad idea, she started heading towards the stairs that were closer. The noises were coming from deeper into the labs, so luckily, she didn't see anyone or... anything as she approached the stairs.

She pulled the door open and started descending down at a fast pace. As long as she makes it to the cell, she'll be fine.

"MOVE!" A man yelled as he darted past the Keeper and up the stairs. She backed up into a dark corner of the stairwell as she gasped at the sudden man. But not long after, a cat-like demon with glowing blue eyes and spikes going down its back chased after the man. It unleashed a loud snarl and clawed its way up the stairs before jumping on the man and tearing him to pieces. The man hollered but was soon silenced as the demon bit into his neck and ripped his throat out.