Chapter 49 - The Enemies

Yama was busy removing his bandages when an explosion burst opened the door to the room he was in. He looked up, not surprised by the sudden scene, and met the raging eyes of his brother.

    He watched as Akai stomped over to a wall and with a flaming fist, punched a hole into the other room. He was letting his anger out, so Yama went back to nonchalantly removing his bandages from his arms. He's used to this behavior from his twin, something must've set him off greatly. It only took Yama a couple of seconds to remove the rest of his bandages but when he looked back up, the room was more destroyed than it already was, with Akai huffing and puffing in the center. The sleeves on his long sleeve shirt were rolled up but that didn't stop them from burning to a crisp. His hair and horns grew out again and the claws on his fingers were long and darkened by the fire.

    The tables were flipped, the bookcase tossed across the room with the books inside burned, the carpet was on fire, and the deactivated robot that used to lay in the corner was now halfway out the window.

    Yama raised an eyebrow at the scene. He can tell that what had happened at the island didn't go as planned. "I take it that you weren't able to retrieve (Y/N), huh?"

"What do you think, dickhead?" Akai growled.

"So she's still with the humans. How come you didn't "raise hell" like you said you were going to do?" Yama asked, grabbing the shirt he had taken off to tend to his injuries and putting it back on.

    Akai's fists were still engulfed in flames and his eyes were crimson red. He waved the flames away and trudged over to a ripped couch to take a seat. "They made a deal with us which was apparently her idea. They'll release her when her arm gets better but until then, we can't be anywhere near the island or they'll shoot us. Fucking pussies..."

"And how will you know when she's better if you're not near the island?"

"They'll send a guy out to the end of the bridge with her. Ki offered to stay close by to watch out for them but I'm going too. I'm not leaving him alone with her when the time comes." Akai muttered the last part but Yama heard clearly.

'So he's starting to lose trust in his partner?' Ever since yesterday, the two haven't been exactly eye to eye. And it shows by how they can't even be in the same room without creating tension in the air. It seems like their little deal was bound to break soon... "You're worried he'll take her and run? I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.."

    Yama buttoned his shirt up and grabbed his coat while Akai seemed to be dealing with inner turmoil. He knew either him or Ki would turn on the other when it came to the girl they both loved. At least until after they got rid of I9. But the idea of having to share her for any longer pissed him off. She was his, not Ki's, not I9's, not anybody's. Akai's and only Akai's.

"What a situation this all has gotten you into~." Yama mumbled while shaking his head disappointingly.

    Akai narrowed his eyes at him. "What do you mean? This was your fault."

"Is it really?" Yama chuckled. "You told me to keep (Y/N) safe, I did the best as I could but failed. I acknowledge my mistake." He didn't sound sincere with this but when was he ever sincere about anything?

"But was I the one who lead the humans to us? Ki must've gone near the island that night and caught the attention of the humans. He could've easily led them somewhere else, he's nocturnal and can control portals to his command. It wouldn't have been an issue for him to lose them. But he came straight to us which led to the humans coming straight for us also. I'm sure you can see what I'm getting at." Yama watched his brother's expression carefully, seeing confusion turn to dismissal that finally turned into realization.

    He shook his head. It's taken his brother this long to finally come to his senses? "If you asked me, this was probably his way of getting (Y/N) for himself. We don't know if he knew about the island or not but if he did then he pulled one over on both of us. He probably expected them to take (Y/N) and plans to run away with her once she's returned."

    Akai didn't respond so Yama continued. "This may not be true but you never know. Like I said before, brother, putting all this effort into a human isn't worth it. Those humans kill demons and make them into armor. Your horns will be someone's headpiece if you attempt to mess with them."

    A low growl came from the angered blond. His hand was gripping into the couch cushion and his claws sunk inside, tearing the fabric in the process. He wasn't listening to Yama at all. More so focused on the things he said about Ki.

"But hey- who am I to tell you what to do and how to live your life. Go ahead and waste it on a human but if you end up dead, I won't say I told you so." Yama spoke as he packed his things. Since his plan has been foiled, he has no other reason to stick around. If Akai wanted to go get himself killed he won't try to stop him. He didn't try to stop him when he decided to mess with those Capturers and look what happened.

    The fire coming from the burning carpet grew more and more, the warm orange light emitting from Akai made shadows on the wall dance, including Akai and Yama's. The doctor walked over to his brother and stopped in front of him once he noticed the growing fire. He tsked and placed a hand on his shoulder. Yama could feel the increasing heat radiating throughout his body like a volcano. "I trust that you'll make the right decision in the end but I'm not certain you will." He leaned down to his ear and whispered. "And if the quiet one is bothering you this much then do something about it. He's not your ally anymore."

    He pulled away and saw Akai slowly nod with glowing red eyes. His body was shaking and his grip on the couch was starting to burn the fabric as his hands heated up.

    Yama decided to leave now before his brother blows a fuse. He's seen Akai be in his full rage state and... it's not pretty.

    He walked over to the door and exited the room, closing the door behind him. He adjusted the bag on his shoulders and was about to start walking when he felt a presence right next to him. He released a sigh. "You heard everything, did you?"

    His red eyes looked up to meet dark ones that glared holes into the demon's existence. "Keep my name out of your mouth..." Ki growled, he was leaning on the wall and stood up straight to confront the doctor.

"I simply told what I saw. You could be plotting against my brother, as far as I know. I dealt with many demons, Ki. Including your type. You act calm, but we all know that's not who you are." He began to walk away but a tight grip on his arm stopped him.

    Ki's claws dug into his arm but Yama didn't seem to be that affected. "Release me."

"If I ever see you again, I will kill you." Ki threatened but this only caused the blond to chuckle once more. 'I'm surrounded by idiots.'

"Oh, Ki, poor... psychotic... little... Ki. We've only known each other for a few weeks. I'll have you dead on the ground with your innards next to you before you even see me." And with that, Yama did a motion with his free hand that ripped the dark demon's hand away from his own. "I recommend that you leave the building as well unless you want to be burned to ashes."

    The two shared a lasting glare before Yama walked away. Leaving the mess to the two enemies.