Chapter 26 - The Truth

Scooting closer to the desk, arms tucked underneath her head, and her whole body aching, (Y/N) tried her best to get some rest before the Scientists came to return her demons.

    She's been having a rough couple of days...

    She's having trouble getting sleep, her worry for Blythe is eating her up, images of the 'nightmare' keep resurfacing in her mind. (Y/N) has tried calling this morning to get a few days off but unfortunately, it was declined. It was a struggle putting her uniform on, her sides and neck ached so much and she doesn't know why. Slipping into her pencil skirt was becoming a hassle around her sides that she tossed it and threw on some loose pants. Yea she was going against dress code but as long as she kept her lab coat closed, people won't notice.

    Now she was here, in the cell at her desk with her head resting in her arms like the last few days. 'I should bring a pillow with me next time.'

    After she was getting ready to fall asleep, the much expected sound of the back walls opening up behind her ruined her chances of getting any rest. She sat up and stretched carefully, wincing at her neck when she stretched a little too much, and turned her seat around to see two Scientists enter with two grey cases that were being watched by eight guards. They unloaded the demons from inside but this time, they weren't locked up.

    (Y/N) watched the people confused as they placed both demons at their respective sides of the cell but didn't activate the chains that would keep them in place. She stood as one of the Scientists approached her.

    The Scientist observed her for a couple of seconds which made (Y/N) feel awkward. She couldn't see their face but it felt like they were checking her body. When the Scientist was finished with their observation, they turned around and pointed to the unconscious demons. "We'll be refraining from locking them up or deploying guards to watch over you. However, we are placing the collars on them and you can decide when to remove them. Understand?"

    (Y/N) nodded but she was still perplexed. The collars are just meant to hinder their abilities but they can still cause harm to her. Why not assign her guards or lock them up? It's not like she thinks Ki and Akai will attack her but it just seems out of character for the Scientists to disregard a Keeper's safety like that.

"As for the cameras, we'll be replacing them next week. We are under a shortage and have to wait so we can restock. Please take close observations of your demons' actions and words used and send the findings to the Researchers as per usual. Good day." With that, the Scientist left with the rest and closed the back wall.

    The Keeper yawned and started heading over to Ki's unconscious body. On her way there, she did look up at the walls to see the cameras not there but huge burn marks with scorched wires sticking out. 'Akai.' She thought as she peeked over to the blond.

    She knelt down next to Ki the best she could and started fiddling with the collar around his neck. He was in his demon form and she didn't want him to be stuck like this. When the collar snapped off, she removed it and began making her way to Akai. She did the same with his collar even though he's most likely mad at her again. Still, it didn't feel fair leaving his collar on while Ki didn't have his.

    Standing up, she started making her way back to her desk where the crate for the collars was sitting on the ground. She heard the demon behind her shuffle a bit but ignored him.

    Once the collars were placed inside the crates, (Y/N) didn't waste any time plopping into her chair and straightening it out so she can use it as a bed. She took her coat off and used it as a pillow, then proceeded to try falling asleep again. Ki and Akai will be fine on their own while she caught some zs.