Chapter 45

I was sitting on the floor leaning on the wall, Luka still had his face in his hands. We contacted my dad explaining everything to him, they will be coming here tomorrow morning. Which is today, we haven't slept nor have we talked.

"I don't want to be the leader of the mafia." I blurted out. It got his attention and he looked up at me. "It's a lot of responsibility and I don't think I will run the mafia properly. I'm only eighteen, I haven't celebrated my eighteen birthday, and haven't explored the world yet. I just don't think I'm ready." I looked down at my fingers.

"You're going to take charge at the age of nineteen, I took over at eleven. So stop fucking whining and shut the fuck up." He said coldly to me.

"You have been preparing for that moment ever since you were born, I didn't even know who my father was." I said to him, he sighed.

"You will become an amazing leader. The men already fear you. You have skills and come up with very good plans, besides you'll have me." I looked him in the eyes. The door opened and we got up ready to grab our guns. Matvey walked in.

"Come on." He signaled us to follow him grabbing my gun from under the bed as we walked into the elevator.

"If they ask, Annika was one of the violinists at the event and Luka was a guest. You two got overboard and ended up in the room. I always thought you two were a power couple." He stared at the elevator door. My eyes widened, Luka and I shared looks. The elevator dinged.

"I knew about you two. You can't hide anything from me. I'm a mafia boss and a father. I thought you two were cute but there is still hope." He walked out of the elevator leaving us speechless.

We quickly ran up with him. We walked out of the building and officers were all over the place. We got into the car without being questioned.
---
I was leaning against my tree doodling some random shit in a book. I saw Waylan walking over to me, he sat beside me.

"What are you doing out here? I never expected you to be a nature person." I looked at him.

"I'm not. Alexi is out on a date with Michail. I don't know where Karina is." I said going back to my doodling.

"I told her." I stopped drawing.

"Told her what." I asked.

"I told her that I loved her." I closed my book, paying more attention. I smiled at him.

"You don't seem happy." My smile disappeared when I saw the frown on his face.

"She didn't say it back." I saw tears forming in his eye but he blinked them away.

"After three years of being together, she didn't love me." He said, shaking his head.

"Maybe she just needed some time to say it," I suggested.

"I gave her five minutes. I thought the same thing and said maybe she needed some time after five minutes. I told her that I will wait but life is short so I don't have a lifetime to wait. Then I came out here." I went closer to him and hugged him. He was hesitant but returned it.

"Well, I love you." I told him in his ear.

"I know that." He said to me, I looked up at him.

"We have come a long way." I said as he smiled at me.

"We have. Mom would be proud." At the mention of mom, I touched the necklace. I took it off. Taking the pendant from the chain I gave it to him.

"This is one of her necklaces." He said while gazing at the pendant. I nodded.

"She gave it to me when she died, it was the only thing I had left of her." I watched as he touched the pendant.

"It's ugly." I laughed.

"She said the same thing when I asked about it."

"Why are you giving this to me?" He looked up at me.

"I have had her all my life. She was always with me every step of the way. I'm giving it to you because life is short. She would want me to give it to you. With this, you will feel like you knew her all your life." He hugged me again.