Chapter 25

Chapter 25

The dark surrounded and intimidated me as I lay there staring at the ceiling; I could feel them, the bones underneath my bed almost as if they were touching me. My skin crawled and the uneasy feeling in my stomach didn't get any better. They are just bones- I kept reminding myself- I have been reminding myself that for the past few hours, my eyes felt like they are going to fall out of my sockets if I stay awake any longer.

"Screw it." I said throwing my feet over the side of the bed. I walked out of my room and made my way down to the hallway to my mother's room. I knocked on the door and opened it to see her sound asleep.

"Mom?" I said alerting my presence, she stirred in her light sleep and nodded telling me she knows I am here.

"I can't sleep, can I sleep with you?" I asked.

"Yeah." She replied groggily, she lifted up the covers and motioned for me to come over, I lay down and she wrapped her arms around me- cuddling me like she used to when I was younger (after I had a nightmare). I felt safe in my mother's arms, having no bones underneath the bed also might have had something to do with it, it sounds cliché but now my mother and I are closer, I feel like she will really protect me and stand up for me. Finally my eyes could withstand no more and closed.

***

"Mom I don't know what to wear." I said to her as she walked into my room.

"But its school- you don't really care what you wear if I am honest sweetheart." She said smiling.

"I know but right now, I am looking at this and I just don't know what I feel comfy in." I replied. I don't want to wear leggings, I don't want to wear jeans and it is too cold for shorts.

"Okay, well we have twenty minutes- we will figure something out." She said looking though my wardrobe. I was relatively ready for school I just couldn't find something to wear- which kind of sounds superficial (or is that too judgemental).

"Alright we want you to be comfy but we don't want you to be cold as it is getting to December now." She said looking through my clothes.

"Here, this jumper dress with those dark grey thick knee socks and your knee high combat boots- wear your army jacket with it for extra warmth." I did as she said and put on all the clothes and turned to my reflection.

"Wow mom, you have great taste." I said, the jumper dress was like a large shirt, it reached down to my mid-thigh where underneath it, it met my knee socks; not much skin was shown meaning I was warm and the looseness of the dress meant I was comfy as no material clung to me. I pulled my grandmothers locket out from underneath the clothing and let it rest in-between my breasts.

"You're wearing it?" My mother questioned picking up the locket between her fingers.

"Yeah, I thought it was time to." I said seriously thinking about my answer. She looked around my room and saw my grandmother's letter to me resting near the picture frame she also left me.

"You really have grown up haven't you?" She said playing with my hair which was left in waves.

"Kind of had to." I replied.

"You're going to be late." She said picking up my bag and handing it to me and kissing me on the cheek. I said my goodbyes and started walking to school. For a minute there, with my mother, I forgot about A and all of the problems that little son of a bitch has caused and I was able to be a regular teenager. And it felt so freaking good. But I don't want to think about A right now.

My mother was so right with this choice of wardrobe, I am so comfy and so warm; my shoes and socks and keeping my legs warm and the jacket and dress are keeping the rest of my body warm against the harsh winter air- it's nice.