Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Am I really doing this? Why am I doing this? Jesus Christ I am going insane.

I walked into the police station and went straight into the main office. I want to try and get to the bottom of what I am being sent. It's like A levelled up; first they were sending me annoying messages and then they were sending me photos and now it is like have graduated to seriously scaring the hell out of me.

"Hey I was wondering if I could speak to Officer Maverick?" I asked the lady at the desk.

"About what?" She asked looking up from her screen.

"I wanted to talk to him about the Milner case that happened a couple of years ago." I explained.

"Are you Skylar Marin?" She asked.

"Yeah. Jack Milner was my cousin." Jack is my father's sister's son. He died in an accident a couple of years ago, he was only eight years old and we were really close. He was out on his bike about midday when he was hit by a car- it was a hit and run and they never found the person who did it. They couldn't find enough evidence and the case went cold meaning we buried Jack without getting justice.

"Alright." She said getting up out of her seat. Officer Maverick was the head officer on the case he is a detective from New Jersey that transferred over her a few years back.

"Sky?" I heard his voice as he walked into the main office.

"Hey Officer Maverick." I turned around and gave him a handshake.

"Erm do you want to talk somewhere more private?" He asked, I nodded and we made our way into his office. Once we were out of sight he pulled me into his arms and gave me a hug greeting me properly. He really helped me when he lost Jack and he really helped my family too.

"Skylar, long time no see- how are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm fine Thomas thank you, how are you?" I asked back.

"Good."

"How's the wife and kids?" I asked.

"Great, Lily is growing up real fast." He smiled. He loves Lily and talks about her non-stop- it's really cute.

"If you ever need a babysitter, you have my number." I said.

"So what are you here for Sky?" He asked getting to the point.

"I wanted to ask a couple of things about Jack's case." I explained.

"Sky I thought we discussed this, the case went cold." He answered, confusion evident on his face.

"Yeah I know that. I was just wondering- where is the evidence now? Like the photos, his bike?" I asked.

"It's in an evidence storage unit. Why?" He asked.

"I was just wondering. Who would have access to it?" I asked. I don't want to give away too much; if they find out about A god only knows what could happen to my family and Mr. Styles.

"Any officer who has the keep to the store room." He looked at me uneasily. "Skylar why are you asking me these questions. Are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine but I was just wondering, just something that has been bugging me for a couple of days and you of all people know what my mind is like when something bugs me." I rambled.

"Alright." He responded slightly less wary.

"Well I have to go, it was great seeing you again and take care of that family." I started walking towards the door.

"Okay, you too." He smiled opening the door for me and letting me out. I almost sprinted out of the precinct and down the street into the shops. I needed to get a couple of things so I walked into Forever 21, then my phone vibrated in my jacket pocket.

From Unknown:

You shouldn't have done that- A

This can't be happening.

***

My eyes hurt, my eyes really hurt. Thank god for makeup otherwise I would be looking like something kids want to poke a stick at. I am in the middle of English and Mr. Styles is talking about some sort of quote and I just can't concentrate; my head hurts too much and all I can think about is A and their god forsaken messages. I rubbed my eyes in attempt to soothe them and stay awake- it didn't work. Suddenly the familiar sound of the bell, echoing through my head and bouncing off my cranium making me want to bang my head against a wall, went meaning we needed to get to the next class.

"Skylar are you okay?" Mr. Styles asked.

"Yeah I just have a headache." I partially lied.

"Well go to the nurse and get some pain killers, I will right you a late slip just in case." He said jotting down the details on a pink slip.

"Thank you." I said taking the slip from him. I walked out of the classroom and down the hallways in search of the nurses office. I walked passed the gym and noticed something; I walked backwards and was so tired I almost needed to look twice. I couldn't see what it was but I could see grey fur matted by something. I walked closer and saw a white note with drips of a red liquid staining the paper. I opened up the note and read the writing already knowing who it was off.

Want to end up like this? I suggest you stop digging bitch! - A

I walked further confused and finally saw the rabbit, fur soaked and polluted with blood and a gaping gash through the poor animals stomach. My breathing got faster and I couldn't control it. It must have been the shock because in that moment I let out a piercing scream.

My body was engulfed in arms and pulled away from the sight, I looked up to see Miss McKenzie stroking my head and shushing me. I pulled away from her and pinched the bridge of my nose trying to distract her while I was putting A's note into my jean pocket.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah I'm fine just a little shocked, I was-" She stopped me from talking.

"You need to tell the Head Teacher." She smiled and pulled me over toward the Head Teacher.

"What happened Miss Marin?" She asked me.

"I was walking to the nurses office because had a headache, I noticed the gym doors were open, I looked and saw something on the floor, I walked closer, saw the blood and the rabbit and that's when I screamed." I looked around the gym looking for anything that could suggest it wasn't intentional. "I saw the doors across the gym were open so a fox probably dragged it in. I'm sorry for all this." I said quickly, covering for A- again!

"Yeah you're probably right." She said smiling in a pitiful way-I hate that.

"I think you should head to your next class." She said. I nodded and walked away without another word. I looked out at all the attention A's little stunt had pulled and walked through the crowd of curious eyes. I saw Mr. Styles and Miss McKenzie talking, they both gazed at me as I walked passed making it pretty freaking obvious they were talking about me. I felt my phone buzz so I took it out knowing who had sent me a message.

From Unknown:

Scared yet? -A

A/N

So here's an update. I hope you all had a nice Easter.

DEDICATION TO: @MrsDannyEdgee

GUESS THE SONG:
'He took me down to the beach for the weekend, I made him buy me everything that I wanted. He's feeling lucky imma let him keep dreaming. He thinks I like him, I like his money.'

~Jadey6688