Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I finally got home, my ratchet, sweaty ass hair was stuck to my face and neck. When we were on the coach, I wanted to rip off my shirt; the journey back was like sitting on the sun- I don't know if the seats had warmers or not but it was too hot to breathe!

My mother opened the door to our house and I was engulfed in a huge hug from my father. He smelt like peppermint with a hint of smoke and alcohol- that part confused me and it was obvious to me that my mother hadn't picked up on this. I pushed away the thought about my father and pulled away from his warm embrace.

"I missed you too Dad." I sheepishly smiled. We strolled into the kitchen where the 'Welcome Home Meal' was meant to be only there was food anywhere but in the cupboards. "I thought we were having a welcome home meal?" I asked trying not to be so rude or sound ungrateful. "Oh shoot, I knew I forgot something!" my mother almost cursed. I sighed sadly knowing that I should be grateful my mother even remembered to pick me up today. "It's ok Mom, don't worry about it." I said trying not to sound too upset about it but really I was- it would have been a little dinner like this that made me think that they maybe did care about me; they were never there to show it.

"I am going to go get your favourite from the Indian down the road." She smiled while picking her keys and slipping on her jacket. "Be back in a minute." She shouted when she shut the door. I shook my head as did my dad. He ran over to the curtain, opened it, looked and then shut it again. I sat on the sofa and watched him walk pass me and grab a bottle of Jim Beam (from what looked like a secret hiding place), screw the cap and take a long gulp. "Dad?" I questioned wondering if he actually knew I was still there. "We don't have to tell your mother about this. She doesn't like me drinking." He smiled and took another sip. "Or smoking?" I retorted, he chuckled and took another sip. "You're very clever darling and nothing gets past you. That will be an amazing trait when you are older." He smirked while taking yet another large gulp of drink. "But your mother however is more blind than a bat. She won't find out will she?" He came and sat near me stroking my hair, this action creeped me out and I found myself nodding to agree with him. My father smiled and stood up taking his drink with him. My phone bleeped and I knew exactly who it was.

From Unknown:
More secrets, more lies. I am too good. How long before you crack. -A xox

How was this bitch doing this. I sighed and turned my phone off, throwing it on the coffee table in front of me hoping to God that it would break and I would be free of this terrible burden. I lay down on the sofa and decided to get some rest. I shut my eyes and let the darkness engulf me.

***

I tousled my curly hair and pulled it over my shoulders. Once I got it how I wanted it, I picked up my school bag and walked down the steps to make my breakfast. This weekend was rough, my father would lie to my mother on the night she was here by saying he wanted to go for a walk to 'let off some steam' and he would go for a smoke down the park- I know because I caught him last night when my mother wasn't here at all, I guess he just didn't want to smoke in front of me, or scared that my mother would come home sooner than expected. However, every night he would drink or pour some clear liquid into a glass of water when my mother wasn't looking and he would just drink it straight up when I was around. I had no more texts from the demon either.

I finally got to school and walked in the foreign building. I didn't want to be here- I was sure my dad was quickly becoming an alcoholic and addicted to smoking but I don't know what bought this on. All I wanted to do was crawl underneath my duvet and cry. I have even stopped sleeping, I sleep for an hour then wake up for two hours and it's been a repeating pattern this weekend. I would be lucky if I could concentrate in school. When I made it to my second class I realised how much time had gone passed and I hadn't even noticed. Math. My life is a huge maths equation that I can't solve and instead of x, I can't figure out what A means.