Chapter 37

There ain't no room for things to change
When we're both deeply stuck in our ways
You can't deny how hard I have tried
I changed who i was to put you both first
But now I give up

~Easy on me - Adele~

AVERY'S POV

That night had been the most tragic night for our family. My foster dad was hit the most that all he could do was sit down and watch everything without a word. Kayla of course was being affected by her husband's state.

Mia was always asking when her dad would return and all we did was lie to her. She wanted to see Declan on many occasions but with his state, we couldn't let a young girl near him.

It had been a week and after that night, I had never heard from Declan but worst of all, from Tiana, my best friend.

I knew what exactly had gone down between them before Reinherd's accident but Declan had not even minded to look for her. All he was doing was sit in his room to drink and smoke.

Although at some point, I didn't blame him. I knew how it felt to realize that you don't have your biological mother.

I had lost my parents when I was very young and it hurt even when I knew what it was. Richmond and Reinherd took me in when I was just five, after witnessing my parents die on a boat cruise where I was with them but they still loved me as their own. Kayla also became the mother I had lost.

He must have been hurting more to realize that he had been used by someone he trusted. Although, that didn't mean that he had to hurt others in return, did it?

Everyday at school was the same. We missed Tiana, we had tried calling her but she wasn't picking and everytime we went to her house, her uncle had politely sent us away. I was worried about her and that's why that day, I decided to confront Declan.

I walked up to his room and knocked. The door had been locked since like forever.

"Open the fuckin door, Declan." I yelled as I went on to hit his door.

After very many minutes of yelling and knocking actually banging his door, he opened.

I was surprised he finally did but taking in his appearance, he looked terrible.

His black hair was overgrown and he had a stumble. His eyes were blood shot but swollen like he had been crying. He only wore silk pajamas but had no shirt on.

"Why are you here?" He asked in a deadly tone.

"Well, I am not supposed to see my favorite brother?" I asked sacarstically, pushed him aside and entered the room.

The room was also a mess. Bottles here and there, used cigarettes and it stunk making me scrunch my nose up in disgust.

"I didn't say you could enter." He said closing the door and walking towards me. I felt uncomfortable under his Stern gaze but I didn't really care.

"Well, I entered." I shrugged. "Not like I would want to stay in a stinking room any longer so I will get straight to the point. Do you think locking yourself up will solve the shit you did?"

I looked up at him but his face still held no emotion. "So that's why you're here?" He asked.

"The reason why I am here is to remind that people take responsibility for the shit they do." I stood up and walked up to his side. "After what you did to Tiana, have you asked yourself where she could be or you're just being a selfish ass who thinks the world probably rotates around them?"