chapter 44

It had been 5 years. You were 29. But who was keeping count? Every day was the same. You woke up, went to school, taught kids, came back home, graded papers, and went to sleep.

On the weekends, you would visit Mikasa and Armin or hang out with Jay. Every two months or so, you would go to the police regarding Eren's case. They were definitely sick of you, but did that matter?

"Girl, you have got to stop going to the police. They're not gonna do shit. They haven't done shit for the past 9 years. I'm sorry," Historia lectured you over the phone. As you sat in your apartment, staring at the ring on your left ring finger, you frowned.

She was right. They never will do anything about it. But it was the only thing that you could do for him. There was constant guilt in the back of your head, and getting the slightest bit of justice for him could've relieved that guilt. Even a little bit.

"Yeah, but-"

"But you feel guilty," Historia finished your sentence. You scoffed and smiled, glad that she understood you.

"Yeah," You chuckled.

"I know. But you can't do anything now. Please, move on. Jay is quite literally in love with you,"

"I can't be with Jay. You know that,"

"At least try. You're so hung up on Eren, for good reason, but you can't keep wasting your life over him. It's been almost a decade,"

"I know, I know. And I'm trying, you know," And it was true. You went on several dates but you never felt a single thing. You felt guilty that Eren loved you but you tried to move on, making it hard to get over him.

"I do know," Historia replied. "It'll take time. You'll get there," She said soothingly, helping your nerves.

"Yeah, you're right," You shrugged, falling back on your bed. "I'll call you tomorrow. I have to grade papers," You sighed.

"Alright. Take care, sis," Historia ended the call, allowing you to keep your phone down and head to your work table. You sat in your chair, pulling out the pile of papers from your bag.

"I'm going to die single," You whispered as you looked through each paper and graded them.

After a long day at work, you came home and took a calm bath. After getting ready to go to sleep, you got a phone call. Picking it up without checking the caller ID, you said "Hello?"

"Y/n," an elderly woman spoke over the phone.

"Mom..." You spoke, realizing who it was. "I thought I told you not to call me," You immediately said.

"I know sweetie, but I have important news for you," She said, sobbing between her words.

"What now?" You rolled your eyes.

"Your father-"

"He's not my father," You interrupted.

"Sorry. My husband, he passed away this morning," Your breathing stopped. The world froze for the seven seconds that it took to process that information.

He was gone. Dead.

"What?" You asked, praying that you didn't mishear her.

"My husband was killed today, how many times do you want me to repeat it!?" Your mother's voice cracked.

"No fuckin' way, my prayers were answered," You laughed, tears falling down your face in happiness. Your mother sighed over the phone, immediately disconnecting it. You smiled as you called Historia to tell her the good news.

"Guess what!" You yelled over the phone.

"It's 1 AM... What?" Your sister yawned.

"That son of a bitch is dead!" You screamed in happiness.

"Our father?" Her eyes widened. You nodded quickly, making Historia smile.

"He was killed, she said. Whoever did that deserves the world," You chuckled, making Historia laugh.

"Such good news," She smiled. "Now I'm going back to sleep,"

"Alright, just had to tell you," You said as she disconnected the phone.

It felt like a heavy weight lifted off your chest. For almost ten years, it felt like you were trapped, not being able to bring Eren's killer to justice. But finally, after so long, he got what he deserved. Maybe it would've been better to see him rot in jail, but knowing that he was rotting in hell satisfied you enough.

As odd as it was, you really wanted to meet whoever helped him meet his demise. But they made your dream come true. You were sure that if they ever did catch whoever killed him, you would be notified, so you weren't too worried about that.

You got out of bed and stood in front of the picture of you and Eren on your wall. You smiled knowing that Eren was finally at peace.

Weeks passed by and the papers that you had to grade kept increasing. Your administrator said that you would be getting a teaching assistant, but they haven't showed up.

"Okay kiddos, apparently we are getting a teaching assistant?" You told the class.

"Will they also be grading our papers?" A student asked.

"Hopefully they grade easier than Ms. L/N does,"

"I got an 80 on the last quiz,"

"Bro, I got a 72,"

"Damn bro, the quiz wasn't even that hard,"

"Okay guys, settle down. I don't know who it is yet and no, they will not be grading your papers. Even if they were, they'd grade it by my point system, so you'll still get an 80 if you don't study," You said, making the class laugh.

Just then, you heard a knock on the door. "Yo, is that them?" The students asked.

"I hope they're hot,"

You chuckled as you asked a student to go open the door. "Hey, I'm your new teaching assistant," A familiar male voice echoed through the classroom. You stopped in your tracks as you turned towards the door, dropping the papers in your hand as your eyes met with a pair of turquoise eyes.

"What the fuck?!" Is all that came out of your mouth.

"Oh my god! Ms. L/N just cursed," The kids started to laugh. But you just stood there, staring at someone who you thought was dead for 7 years.

"Can I speak to you in the hallway?" He asked. You mindlessly nodded as you ran out the classroom and closed the door behind you. "I'm sorry," He softly spoke. "I had t-"

"Who are you?" You cut him off.

"Eren,"

"No you're not,"

"Yeah I am,"

"Eren is dead,"

"I'm not dead,"

"Yes you are,"

"Can I explain?"

"No,"

"Your dad-" Before he could finish his sentence, you wrapped your arms around him.

"You're real?" You whispered as you let out a breath you didn't know you were holding. You felt his arms wrap around your body.

"Yeah," He chuckled as you started to sob uncontrollably. This wasn't real. It made no sense. He was dead.

"How?"

"Can I explain it to you?"

"I'm taking the day off. Come with me," You said through your tears as your arms remained around him.

"Alright," He chuckled. You felt his tears fall on the back of your shirt. "I missed you, Y/n,"

"I missed you, Eren,"