chapter 45

"It's been seven years," You whispered as you stared directly into the eyes of the love of your life, who had previously been dead, or so you thought.

You and Eren were sitting in the back of his favorite coffee shop, reminding you of the dates you used to go on. The rain pattered on the window as you looked down into your coffee cup and back up at him, who was looking back at you.

You noticed that his hair grew out a little more, and his face structure was a lot more defined, more mature. His green eyes were droopier than the last time you saw him, and he had a slight stubble growing. But still the same Eren.

There had never been a moment when you were more terrified. Someone coming back to life? How was this even possible? You tried thinking of millions of explanations, but nothing made sense.

"I know," He responded in a quiet manner. "I'm really, really sorry," He frowned. "You've been hurting for so long because of me. I wish I did things differently,"

"Yeah, I mean, you were dead, Eren," You scoffed. "How?"

"When I first got your dad's call, I was scared as fuck. I had no idea what to do. Like I told you in the letter, which I'm assuming you read," You nodded, allowing him to continue. "But I remembered Liam, your ex," Your eyes widened at the mention of your ex-boyfriend, who you lost contact with a few years ago.

"What about him?" You raised your eyebrow, confused.

"I once met him at a club and I found out he owned it. After we talked for a while, I learned that he was part of one of the most notorious gangs in the world. Not only part of, but he was, or rather, is, the leader of it," Your jaw dropped at this discovery. Liam? A gang leader? What kind of news was this?

"No way," You exclaimed.

"Yes way. Anyway, I realized that maybe he could help me with this situation. So I told him about it and he had the perfect resources to do so. He created a fake body and put it in the casket. The funeral was a closed casket though, so I guess that didn't even matter. I was there, you know. At my own funeral. I saw all your speeches," His voice trailed off, sighing as he took a sip of his coffee.

You couldn't even believe what you were hearing. He had been alive the whole time. He was at the damn funeral. But instead of being grateful that he was okay, you were beyond upset. "What the fuck," Your face contorted into an angry expression. "How could you just leave me for seven whole years? Leave everyone behind while you just sit in the dark and watch our worlds fall apart?"

"I'm sorry. I really am. But I couldn't come back until your dad died. And, well, I couldn't wait any longer, so I may have had a part in your dad... dying," After hearing his explanation, it really did make sense. You did understand. But you wish he could've done it sooner.

"You killed him?"

"No, no. I personally did not pull the trigger. Someone who was a part of Liam's gang did. But I might've asked him to do it,"

"Woah," You weren't surprised. This news didn't even phase you, considering the rest of it.

"I see you still have the ring," He glanced down at your left ring finger, making you look at it too.

"Oh, yeah," Your lips pressed together, remembering the letter that Eren wrote along with it. "You know, I still have the stuff you left me," You looked back at him.

"I'm glad," He smiled, making your heart flutter, a feeling that you haven't felt in years. "You're even prettier," He whispered.

"Oh," You looked away, trying to hide your smile. "Thanks,"

"So you're a teacher now? What about singing?"

"I didn't have any motivation to continue," You shrugged. "There was nothing to write about. So I got a degree in education and went to school,"

"Well, I can tell you're a wonderful teacher. Your students must love you,"

"I hope they do," You chuckled. "Um, how are you going to go out into the public now?" You asked, something that you've been wondering since the moment you saw him.

"I've been thinking about that for a while. Do you want us to just tell the truth? Or should we say that I went into a coma and went under severe medical care?"

Us. We. Was there even an "us" anymore?

"I think the latter is more believable," You chuckled.

"I missed your laugh," Eren sighed. Your heart raced and your cheeks turned hot, but your smile turned into a frown. "Sorry, it's been seven years," He shook his head.

There was no way you could go back to normal so quickly. It would take time. Lots of it.

"No worries. We can talk about that later," You said softly. "Let's worry about bringing you back into everyone's lives? They'll be freaked out," You suggested.

"You're right. We can go right now?" You nodded, leaving the café and driving back to your apartment.

After calling everyone to your apartment, you and Eren sat in silence, waiting for them to arrive. As soon as the doorbell first rang, you told Eren to into a room, deciding to introduce him when everyone is here.

After everyone arrived, you realized that they would probably freak out more than you thought they would. "Okay, everyone, take a seat," You said slowly. Historia and Sasha looked at you weirdly as they sat on the couch.

"Do you have something important to say?" Armin asked.

"Very important," You nodded.

"Are you pregnant!?" Sasha yelled, resulting in a laugh from Eren, who was waiting in the bathroom. Everyone's eyes shot straight to the bathroom door in shock.

"Who the fuck is in there? Y/n, do you have a boyfriend?!" Historia yelled.

"No! No, I do not,"

"Then who is in the fucking bathroom?" Historia got up, almost about to head there, but you blocked her path.

"Sit down, and I'll show you," She reluctantly sat down and stared at the door. "Now, don't freak out. Please. Stay calm, okay?" Everyone nodded slowly as you went to the bathroom door and opened it, allowing Eren to step out.

As soon as he came into view of everyone, their jaws dropped. Sasha screamed and Armin fainted. Something you expected to happen. Jean ran up to him and started to poke him while Mikasa just stared at him violently. Connie yelled and started to pinch himself. Annie's eyes simply widened. Historia let out a stream of curses as she asked you a million questions.

After a good twenty minutes of their reactions, you woke Armin up and gave him some water. Eren explained everything that happened. He continuously apologized in between, making almost everyone sob.

It took three hours for everyone to finally comprehend what was going on. By that time, you were asleep on the couch while everyone was still asking Eren questions.

A few more hours passed by, and everyone left the house. Eren shook you awake, and you looked around to find no one. "They left," He whispered. You nodded, standing up and patting down your messed up hair. You looked at the time, 2:12 am, you yawned.

"Alright," You sighed. "Oh, Eren, do you... have a place to stay?" You slowly asked.

"About that..." He nervously chuckled.

"Do you, by any chance... wanna stay here?"

"Can I?"

"Of course," You softly smiled.