Chapter 9 - Empty Heaven

" Restart your heart
Fill your lungs with this oxygen
Restart your heart, so you are filled with life again
If we could turn back time, stop your decline
Piece you back together until you've been revived. "

'Empty Heaven' - August Burns Red

************************************

There was quiet for a while, and James cleared his throat. "So er...when can I meet with the Real Estater to get the keys to give to her?" He picked at some loose paint on the hall wall.

"Should be good to go first thing tomorrow morning. You'll have to drop by their office to sign a ton of paperwork, but other than that. The place is yours."

"Thank you Jess. You have no idea how much this means to me. I just want to see her safe away from Him."

"Maybe you should talk to her about getting a restraining order?"

"Yeah." He sighed deeply. "That could take months to sort out though. I've not met the guy thank God, because I'm sure I'd knock him out. But you should have seen the bruises on her ribs that he gave her.

"Poor girl. Well, she must be worth it. When are you flying back?"

"She is. Should be later tomorrow." He found himself smiling whilst on the phone.

"Ok. Message me when you get to the airport so I can sort out transport for you at the other end.

"Will do. Once again. Thank you so much for sorting this, Jess. I know it's all been incredibly sudden."

"Well, you're not one to do things by halves are you, James?" She chuckled.

"Hey! That golf cart was a drunken purchase!"

"I'm not talking about that."

"Oh?"

"The 1000 koi carp that turned up at my doorstep. For the pond I never built, and never will build."

"Oh...that." He laughed. "Yeah. Hey Jess. One last thing. Could you make me a reservation at The Crow's Nest here in Anchorage for 2. Say 8pm? Oh, and arrange for someone to drop off a LBD for Emily at Inlet Towers for me. She's about a size 4 I think"

"Sure. No problem. I'll catch you later James. Go woo your lady." She teased him.

"Goodbye Jess. We need to catch up soon."

"We do. Later."

Jess hung up. James tucked his phone into his back pocket and turned and walked to Emily's apartment, pushing open the door and stepping inside, before closing the door behind himself.

"Emily?" He called out to her when the apartment seemed abnormally quiet. There was no reply. He frowned and walked through the lounge looking around until he saw a door slightly ajar and guessed that must be her bedroom.

Cautiously, he pushed open the door with his fingertips and crept inside. "Emily?" He questioned again, before he heard a small sniffle, and turned his head to a door on his right that was illuminated around the edges from the light inside being on.

"Emily?" He walked over to the door and knocked on it.

There was no reply, but he heard more sniffing and hiccupping.

"Emily are you OK?" He lent forwards against the door.

"Go away." Emily growled.

"Why are you crying?" He questioned gently.

"Go away James."

"Ok, but can you at least tell me what I'm supposed to have done?"

"No."