Chapter 27 - The Closing

" I'm all alone while you're having fun
You have faith while I feel none
Sleep 'til late to waste half the day
But I'm happy to live this way

Me and shame are the same
Me and shame take the blame. "

'The Closing' - Silverchair

************************************

The next morning was filled by a wonderful sunny day with a bright blue sky and a light warm breeze. It also came with a deep sense of shame and regret for Emily, and later; a banging hangover for James.

James was still out for the count, but Emily was awoken by a knocking noise, she stirred coming to and unwrapped James's arms from around herself eventually realising the knocking was coming from their hotel room door. She stretched, unwrapping the bed sheet from around herself and sleepily made her way over to the door, covering her mouth with her hand to supress a yawn whilst opening the it, instantly coming face-to-face with the same rich amber eyes she had been so entranced with last night.

Freezing. Emily hesitated in opening the door up some more to allow Shannon to come fully into frame. She saw his eyes dip to her long bare legs that poked out from beneath the over-sized t-shirt she wore and swallow slowly.

"Shannon?"

"Erm...hi." He raised a hand to acknowledge her.

Emily lowered her voice. "You know James is here? What are you doing?" She quickly glanced over her shoulder before returning her gaze back to him.

"Relax. I'm not here to request an encore. Although I wouldn't say no if you propositioned me." He gave her a small smirk.

"Stop it!" Emily hissed, glaring at him and slapping him on the arm.

"Ow!" He protested rubbing it. "Look. I came to give you this back. I figured you'd be needing it." He held out Emily's phone to her. "I found it by my bed last night after-"

"Thank you, Shannon." Emily managed to cut him off before he went further and took her phone from his hand.

"Mmmm...Oh hey Shannon." Emily heard a voice from behind her say. She turned around and saw James walking over to the door rubbing his face clearly nursing a hangover. Luckily he'd had the sense to pull some boxers on before appearing at the door after falling asleep butt naked.

Emily could feel herself starting to get warm at the awkwardness of the triple-participant conversation and could see Shannon looking at her out of the corner of her eye to make things even more awkward.

James came to stand behind Emily and slid his arms around her waist, resting his head on her shoulder and looked at Shannon.

"Oh. Well, it looks like you two have kissed and made up then." He faked a smile and gave them both a wink. Emily felt herself die inside slightly at the awkward exchange.

"I think we still have some stuff to talk about, but it's hard for me to stay mad at this one." James told Shannon with a soft smile.

Shannon cleared his throat. "Well, I should be going. Haven't had breakfast yet, Jared's probably ordered for me already." He rolled his eyes. "I hope he's ordered granola. I love it when it's served with thick, moist yoghurt..."

Emily coughed trying to cover up a splutter. She was doing well until Shannon added the punchline of "Topped with nuts." Then she knew she was about to meet her demise and started a full-on coughing fit.

She saw Shannon wink and smirk at her.

"I'll catch you kids later." He told the two, turning to leave when he heard James say "Babe are you alright?". Letting the door close behind himself he chuckled to himself. That was a dick move he admitted, but she obviously hadn't told the poor guy what had happened yet and he wasn't going to lie to himself. He was jealous seeing them cuddled up like that knowing what had happened between himself and Emily last night. With James still oblivious.