Chapter 23 - The Lonely Life

" What if we became strangers?
Would you notice my face in a crowd?
And could you hear the sorrow in my voice?
Helplessly crying your name out loud. "

'The Lonely Life'-  City and Colour

************************************
**NOTE: THIS CHAPTER HAS SOME EXTRA CHARACTERS FEATURED IN IT WHO MAY OR MAY NOT BECOME PART OF THE STORYLINE**

The car dropped Jess and Emily off onto a quiet backstreet on Rodeo Drive and they got out.

"Whereabouts are you taking me?" Emily asked Jess as they started walking to join the main street, Jess's heels clicking on the tarmac as they did so.

"Well...we had a few designers who wanted to design your dress for you tonight after James sent in a picture of you."

"HE DID WHAT! When did he send off a photo of me and more to the point, what photo did he use?" She started to panic and worry what photo he had used, and what the designers would think of her. She was far from the skinny models with cheekbones that could slice a block of cheese that she was sure they usually dealt with on a day-to-day basis.

"Don't worry. It was a lovely photo of you, you look beautiful in it." Jess reassured her, turning to look at her and smiling.

"C-can I see it?"

"Sure. But honestly babe. You look gorgeous." Jess pulled out her phone from her handbag as they walked and scrolled through it, before holding it out to Emily who took it from her.

She recognised the photo having been taken from the other evening when James had surprised her by showing up and having arranged dinner on the roof of her apartment building. She was wearing the gorgeous red dress that he had selected for her with its plunging neckline and daring side-slits. She had to admit that she did look good.

Jess saw Emily smile as she handed Jess her phone back. "See. I told you you looked good." She nudged Emily and gave her a wink.

Emily laughed. "So, who decided on designing my dress in the end then?" Emily turned serious and chewed her lip anxiously.

Jess suddenly stopped walking. "Look up." She grinned.

Emily frowned and followed Jess's gaze upwards and saw the letters 'GUCCI' spelt out and illuminated on the front of the building. A lattice pattern covered the exterior and classically for LA, palm trees lined the pavement.

"WHAT THE FUCK!" Emily exclaimed loudly, before realising exactly how loudly she had said it and clamped a hand over her mouth, embarrassed.

A couple of people passing by shot them both a look before carrying on their way.

Jess laughed and linked her arm with Emily's dragging her towards the front of the store, where a security guard opened the door for them both.

"Erm...thanks." Emily giggled nervously as she passed by the security guard who bowed to them both. Her eyes became as wide as saucers as she drank everything in once she was inside.

"Ahhhh my dear Jess!" A male voice exclaimed pulling Emily to her senses. She came face to face with a shortish, immaculately, but elaborately dressed man, with long dark hair and full beard. He was wearing a series of necklaces, a plain red t-shirt, with a checkered shirt overlayed, a pair of light blue jeans turned up at ankles, a pair of tube socks and loafers. He had the most gorgeous hands she had ever seen on a man and each finger bore a decadent ring of some kind.

Emily watched as Jess unthreaded her arm from hers, walked over to the man, embraced him, and 'air-kissed' him on either cheek. "Alessandro! It's so good to see you." She pulled back and he held her hands in his, looking at her, smiling.