Chapter 14 - New Beginnings

" I called you on the phone again
just the other day
it sounds to me you found your place
and everything is great. "

'New Beginnings' - Finch

************************************

James had only been gone a couple of minutes when Emily heard her phone suddenly ping from the bedroom. She walked back through and rummaged around to find it, eventually finding it, discarded under a hoodie that had been flung on the floor.

She glanced down at the screen.

'1 Message- James'

"Already?" She muttered to herself, smiling, and sat back down on her messed-up bed from her earlier sexcapade with James. She opened the message.

"Front desk may have something for you 😊. By the way, you look stunning in the photo I have saved of you as my wallpaper on my phone.

I miss you already. I'm nearly at the airport. I wish you were here with me. I hate flying. xXx"

Emily frowned when she read the message, before replying.

"What have you done now!?"

There were a few minutes before she had an incoming call from James and she answered.

"What do you mean? What have I done now?" He asked her laughing. She could hear that he was in a vehicle.

"You're always surprising me." She told him.

"Do you not like surprises?" James questioned.

"I do. I-I just. I guess I feel overwhelmed. No one has ever cared about me so much." She mumbled, slightly embarrassed.

James chuckled from the other end of the phone. "Go to the Front Desk Emily, and text me when you get back. I'll give you a ring back, OK?"

"Ok."

"Talk to you in a bit." He hung up.

Emily tossed her phone on her bed making her way through to the Sitting Area where she found her keys had been tossed. She took her key card from the holder on the wall and opened the door, making her way down the corridor and getting in the elevator, travelling down to Reception.

Her shoes clattered on the marble floor as she exited the elavator and made her way over to the Front Desk.

Some business men in suits who were sat in the lobby, turned to look at her, one from behind his paper and the other turned his head towards her from the conversation he was having on his phone.

She approached the desk and said, "Erm hi. I think James left something for me here?"

"Ahh...Miss Kapinski, he did. I'll just go and get it for you."

"Thankyou." Emily smiled at the lady as she got up from behind her desk and walked out the door behind her.

Emily looked around the foyer, still trying to take in everything as this was now her new home. She caught one of the business men staring at her and quickly looked away, blushing.

She heard the rustle of a newspaper and someone say, "Are you a new resident here?" The man uncrossed his legs and stood up, making his way over to her and held out a hand.

"Erm...yes I am." She smiled at him and shook his hand.

"I'm Bryce. I live on the 32rd floor."

"I'm Emily. I erm...I just moved in on the top floor." Emily fiddled with the cuffs of her navy cardigan.