Chapter 18 - There's no 'I' in Team

" And I've got a twenty-dollar bill
that says you're up late night starting
fist fights versus fences in your backyard
Wearing your black eye like a badge of honour
Soaking in sympathy
from friends who never loved you
nearly half as much as me. "

'There's no 'I' in Team - Taking Back Sunday

************************************

James seemed fidgety on the cab ride over to the restaurant and it was making Emily anxious. He wasn't himself after the moment they had shared in her bedroom an hour earlier and she was worried that she had done something wrong.

She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye and saw that he was staring off into space out of the cab window, an elbow resting on the windowsill, watching the raindrops trickle down from outside.

One of his legs kept bouncing up and down as well, something that she knew from experience with Jason, meant that he was agitated. She slowly reached across the backseat and took his free hand that was resting on his thigh, in her hand, interlocking her fingers with his. It seemed to bring him to his senses and he turned his gaze from the window to look at her hand in his before looking at her and smiling a small smile.

"Are you OK? You're being really quiet. D-did I something wrong?" Emily asked him quietly.

He frowned. "No. Not at all. Why do you ask?" He rubbed her hand with his thumb reassuringly.

"You seem distracted and quiet, that's all. I was worried I'd done something earlier."

"Do I? I'm sorry. I was just thinking." He lent across and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing in particular. Just life and stuff." He gave a small chuckle. "I'm looking forward to this meal though, I'm starving."

Emily brushed off the change in subject and replied, "Me too."

The cab pulled up outside the restaurant and James paid the driver before getting out and making his way around to Emily's side, opening the car door for her.

"Thank you". Emily grinned at him and climbed out.

"Have a great evening you two." The can driver told them both.

"Thank you. We will."

He drove off and they made their way to the door which James opened for her and lightly ushered her through with a hand on the small of her back. They were greeted by a waiter who asked them if they had booked ahead.

"We have. 2 under Arthur."

"Right this way Sir." The waiter led them over to a quiet corner and a table was laid out for two. "Can I take your coats for you?"

"Oh, please. Thank you." Emily replied, taking her coat off and handing it to him. James did the same.

"I'll just get you both some menus."

"Cheers."

"I'm just going ot the bathroom." Emily told James hanging her purse off the back of her chair.

"OK sure." He smiled back at her and watched her walk off as he sat down.

******************************

*5 minutes later*

James looked up from his menu and saw Emily returning from the bathroom at the back of the restaurant. She looked incredible and he knew then that he needed to do this.