Chapter 24 - Tears Don't Fall

" There's always something different going wrong
The path I walk's in the wrong direction
There's always someone fucking hanging on
Can anybody help me make things better? "

'Tears Don't Fall' - Bullet for my Valentine

************************************

After Emily's dress fitting, Jess, Emily and Alessandro went and got lunch together. Alessandro knew of a proper authentic Italian bistro not far from the shop on Rodeo Drive, but it was hidden and you'd only know if you knew it was there.

Her dresses would be dropped off later on that evening and a make up artist and hairstylist would also be popping round. Alessandro said he would come by as well to make sure that he would be on hand for any last-minute adjustments or amendments.

They had just got onto the topic of Emily's past relationship with Jason when she heard her phone go and she fished it from her handbag, checking it. James had dropped her a quick message.

"I hope everything is going well and that you like your dresses. I'm sorry about everything lately, I've been very stressed with this show.

We can talk whenever you're ready to, and I will listen. I do love you, Emily. I guess I just need to learn to be more patient.

I can't wait to see you tonight. These rehearsals are kicking my ass.

XxXxX"

Emily smiled to herself, before quickly shooting off a quick reply.

"I appreciate that. Some things are still very hard for me to talk about.

Thank you for designing the other dress for me. It's a beautiful gift and a beautiful thought.

I love you too. I'll see you later

xXx"

She put her phone away and re-joined the conversation.

"Was that James?" Jess asked her smiling.

"It was yes."

"He's been very worried about you lately. All he wants is for you to be happy."

"I know. I-I just find some things still very hard to talk about."

Alessandro reached across the table and placed a hand on top of hers and stroked it. "You need to let him in. It's the only way two hearts can beat as one."

Emily smiled softly at him. "I know I do. He's the most incredible person I have ever met. I know he has money etc, but I also know that he's doing this from the kindness of his heart. He wouldn't do this for just anyone."

"Have you asked him about his past?"

"He's told me some parts, but I don't want to push him."

"He had a very tough upbringing. I think in some ways you're both very similar. You're both survivors, remember that." Jess told her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders and pulling her into a side hug.

"We are all survivors or we would not be here today. My life was not so good growing up. My mamma and pappa were supportive, yes, but school not so much. Children can be very cruel. But look where I am now, doing what I love with my partner by my side. You are an incredible woman Emily, don't let anyone tell you any differently." Alessandro told her empathetically.

Emily started to sniffle and a tear rolled down her face.

"Per favore non piangere. Sei una persona forte!" Alessandro exclaimed when he noticed her starting to cry, pushing back his chair and rushing round to crouch next to her and placing a gentle hand on her thigh, whilst embracing her with his other arm.