Chapter 25 - One Track Mind

" The sex and lies, remember
Look in my eyes, surrender
There isn't any other way
Outta luck, outta time
Outta sight, I'm outta mind
Mind. "

'One Track Mind' - Thirty Seconds to Mars

************************************

"Take a deep breath. I'm right here with you." James whispered to Emily, moving to hold her hand and interlace her fingers with his stroking the back of her hand with his thumb. He lent in and kissed her on the cheek.

Emily did as James had suggested and he led her onto the short stretch of red carpet that at the far side, led into the venue area where the ceremony would take place. Instantly flashes from cameras went off and there were people shouting James's name left, right and centre.

To start with Emily felt like a deer, blinded by headlights, until she felt James's large, warm and reassuring hand and started to relax slightly.

"James when's your new album out?"

"James, is this your new girlfriend?"

"James, over here. This way."

"What's your name?"

"What designer are you wearing tonight?"

"Are you hoping to win tonight?"

"What's your name sweetheart?"

"Is this the mysterious woman you've been teasing us with?"

The questions came hurtling towards them both and James lent in to whisper into her ear. 'Don't answer anything you don't want to. I'll deflect it or I'll get Jess to deal with it."

Emily nodded at him to show that she had understood and saw Jess stood off to the side, ready to step in if things got out of hand or if Emily needed a break.

"This is my girlfriend, Emily." James told the paparazzi introducing Emily to them and holding her slightly at a distance so they could get a better view of what she was wearing.

"Emily. How did you and James meet?"

Emily looked at James who nodded encouragingly at her.

"Erm...I work in a coffee shop in Alaska. That's how we met." She smiled shyly. Some flashes went off.

"That's a sweet story. Almost like a Cinderella story."

Emily laughed a small laugh. "I guess it can be looked at like that."

"Emily, who are you wearing tonight?"

"My dress is by Gucci. Alessandro designed it for me."

Some more flashes went off.

"Can we get some photos of the two of you?"

"Is that OK?" James asked Emily, who nodded in response.

He moved back over to her and wrapped his arms around her waist. She smiled at him. There was some cheering and then James moved to hold one of her hands and twirled her slowly so the press could get some better photos of her outfit.

"Kiss her!" Someone from the press shouted out.

Emily blushed when she heard them say this. They'd never kissed so publicly before and she knew this would be all over the entertainment news, worldwide within the next 10 minutes or so. She looked at James who grinned at her, before walking back over to her and pulled her in closely to himself and wrapped his arms around her.