Chapter 15 - Comin' Home

" But I'm comin' home, I'm comin' home

I know that we're takin' chances, you told me life was a risk
but I just have one last question...
will it be my heart or will it be his?

I'm comin' home. "

'Comin' Home' - City and Colour

************************************

**1 month later**

Emily and James had been managing to talk most days. Things had been harder since he had moved back to London because of the huge time difference and James's constant appointments, but they had made things work, despite many late nights and early mornings, missed calls and unanswered messages.

Emily was settling into her penthouse suite slowly and was gradually starting to move on with her life with Jason no longer featuring in it. She had been anxious that he may have discovered where she had moved to in the beginning, but had then been reassured by the tight security of the building and the access to her room. So far, so good.

It was the end of the day for Emily and the last customer left the coffee shop, walking out into the frigid night air. She followed them to the door and turned the sign around to read 'CLOSED', before making her way over to a table nearest the door and cleared away the cups and plates that littered it, into a washing up bowl.

She squirted some cleaner onto the table and proceeded to wipe it down, when she heard a familiar voice come over the radio and grace her ears. She realised that it was James's and that he was playing an acoustic cover version of one of his songs that she had heard before. She smiled to herself, she always thought he sounded at his best when he played acoustically, which he had done over Skype with her a couple of times since they had met.

This must have been recorded back in LA just before he had flown back to London. He had briefly mentioned to her about doing a live performance for a big radio station there in LA and an interview of some kind.

Picking up a chair she turned it upside down and placed it on the freshly wiped tabletop. The song finished and the Radio Producer announced that he'd had the chance to catch up with James a couple of weeks after his American tour.

They chatted about the tour for a bit, his upcoming new album and the latest released single, before the Producer let some of the listeners ask James some questions. One asked when he would next be in the US and he had replied:

'Hopefully sooner rather than later, I think I left my heart in Alaska.' Emily paused in what she was doing when she heard this and felt her face start to grow warm.

'Ah it's an incredible state hey? Really really damn cold though. What made you travel all the way up there?"

'I had a few days left at the end of my US tour. It's always been on my Bucket List to visit and I never thought I'd have the chance to actually go."

"What did you think then? I've heard the bears there are even bigger than here in the Lower 49?"

"It was immense, the scenery is insane. Makes Redcar look like a right shithole." James laughed. "I spent most of my time in Anchorage though. I found a great little coffee shop there."

"Big coffee drinker are you then James?"

"I became one. Especially when the company is so perfect."

Emily blushed and knew he was referring to her in a subtle way.

"I'm sure it gave you some inspiration for new material in the not-so-distant future."

"It certainly has." She could almost visualise him smirking as he said this.