Ch. 36

They ran up the stairs like crazy. All out of breath they arrived at the door which would lead them outside. Nora who was in front opened the door in a hurry.

The last time they had been standing on a rooftop it had been rainy and dark and cold and windy. Now it was just windy and cold. Above them the stars were shining bright down on them but on the rooftop it wasn't dark at all, the roof was well lit.

With panic in her eyes Nora looked around, and there she saw it. She had been right. Right in front of them two people were standing, just at the edge of the roof, it were Rosa and Julien. Only the problem was that Rosa was keeping Julien in a headlock with a knife to his throat. Julien's eyes were all red and it looked like he either had been crying or was still crying.

'What the fuck?'

'Let Julien go right now!'

'And why would I do that?'

'Why are you doing this? What did we ever do wrong?'

'You don't understand.'

'That's right I definitely don't understand, we haven't talked or walked in your way for weeks and now out of nowhere you try to kill Julien, it doesn't make sense.'

'All those weeks not interfered and yet you manage to screw up my life.'

'Excuse me? We screw up your life?'

'A year ago you came stamping into this school. First I thought you were just regular greenies but then, within four days you manage to become friends with the three most popular guys of this school. Besides that you for some reason get so much good grades and then at the ceremony everybody finds out you are also really powerful. You were the perfect students, the ones every student and teacher loves.'

'So we took away your popularity? Well I'm very sorry for you but you are really overreacting.'

'No I'm not. As I said, you don't understand, everybody likes you. You step into a random room and by the time you leave everybody wants to be friends with you, even Cas. After he had chemistry with Eva he said he didn't understand why I hated you and he didn't want to continue make your life hell. I took care of him, don't worry.'

'I'm still confused.'

'Me too.'

'But then my dad found out about you, right after the ceremony. Everything I did in my life was to make my dad proud, so that maybe he would love me one day. I did my best at everything, I got good grades, made powerful friends for later, I did my best at sports. But when he found out about you he started to compare me to you. I could never be as smart, as brave or as powerful as you. I thought if I made you fail your practical exam he would see I was good enough, but then Ana gave you a different practical exam, and not just any exam, no, le jeu des quatre, the hardest practical exam there is. And you succeeded it. I know he's mad, he'll say I'm a shame for the family name and I don't know what will happen when I go home, if I'll ever go home.'

'If I'm being honest that just sounds like a toxic household.'

'The only way for me to fix this now is to get rid of you. I've tried many ways but none of them worked, this is my last option. Besides I'm helping everyone here, they might not realize but everything is because of you.'

'What?'

'Why don't you get it? Fore someone with good grades you're pretty fucking stupid. It's you! You are their threat!'

'But why Julien? None of this is his fault, let him free and take me instead.'

'That's sweet Lisa but sometimes grief is worse than death.'

Julien looked back at them with teary eyes.

'I'm sorry.'

Then Rosa knocked him unconscious.

'This is the only way.'

Then she let go of Julien's limp body and he fell over the edge. Everybody screamed. Julien might be an air Solem but unconscious he couldn't do anything. They were too far away from the edge to jump after him. Lars, Liv and Fynn were frozen with shock but torn by fear and shock, Lisa, Eva, Sadie and Nora ran after him anyway. Lars, Liv and Fynn wanted to help but their bodies refused and they couldn't move, they could only scream. Lisa, Sadie, Eva and Nora on the other hand seemed to move as one.

They say strong emotions bring your deepest desires or secrets to the surface, even when you thought you didn't had any.

Throughout the past year Julien had became too important for them, they weren't going to let him die.

Everything seemed to be happening in slow motion, Julien falling, Liv, Lars and Fynn screaming and Lisa, Eva, Nora and Sadie running.

'JULIEN NOO.'

Lisa reached her hand forward and then it happened. All their fear, shock, sorrow and anger exploded within them and the time went slower and slower until it eventually just stoped. Liv, Lars and Fynn standing still with their mouths open like they were screaming but there was no sound. Rosa watching Julien fall with regret in her eyes but not moving a muscle. Julien floating in the midair. It was almost peaceful. All this didn't reach Sadie, Nora, Lisa and Eva tho, their emotions had made them blind to their surroundings and the only thing on their mind was saving Julien.

Still running they reached the edge and without second thought Lisa jumped after Julien. She grabbed Julien out the air and now they were both falling. Lisa threw some sort of invisible lasso back to Sadie, Eva and Nora. They caught it without a problem and started to pull Lisa and Julien back up the roof.

When they were standing on the roof again the time was still standing still they looked around. Behind them were four people standing, two men and two women. It was like they were shining and they did not particularly feel real. They were smiling softly at them and looked at them almost proudly, as if they were saying they had made a good choice or something. One of the women started speaking.

'The chosen ones.'

After she had said that the four of them vanished and the time started ticking again All of this happened within less than a minute and they were all confused about what had happened and what they had done.

They heard an unfamiliar deep manly voice behind them.

'That's enough, I told you so.'

Before they could turn around it went black.