04 - Strength

[Johan's POV]

After the party we bid goodbye to the kind people and left the area. It was getting dark so she asked me to lead the way to my house.

"So where are you gonna stay tonight?" I ask her walking slowly while fiddling with my jacket zipper in my weak attempt to end the awkward silence.

"Hmm, one of the aunts told me that she'd need some help tonight, so I'm crashing at hers"

"Well where do you stay otherwise?" I question a slight curiosity peeking from my voice.

"The ladies at the shops I help let me crash at theirs from time to time-" she replies smiling briefly, "-but otherwise I tend to roam the night streets".

"Isn't that kinda dangerous?"

"Well yeah I guess"

She shrugs off the question I asked out of pure concern like it was nothing.

"Hah, you're really something else" I huff out, shaking my head and turning to face her as our feet carried us.

"Oh yeah? Why's that?" She asks glancing at me while laughing slightly.

"Well when we first met, your were sleeping on the side of the road, but you were smiling and laughing like you've been living in luxury all your life".

"And when you helped us you called me who was getting beat to a pulp, Strong-"

"Well you are" she states cutting me off.

"Hah, what strong guy lets people beat him up like that??" I question completely confused.

"Lots of people" she replies calmly while slowing down her pace.

"Physical strength isn't the only thing that make you strong," she explains looking right in to my eyes like she could see my soul, "Of course it would be great to be physically strong enough to not let anybody mess with you".

"But what really matters is if you're mentally strong enough to not let it get to you"

"Get to you how...?"

"Hurting yourself or... killing yourself... because you can't bear the pain anymore" she answers reluctantly.

"Oh.." I trail off stopping in my tracks which makes her stop too.

"People always fight back it's in their nature-" she continues showing an ant we could have almost stepped on, "-Even if you step on an ant by mistake, it's gonna bite you back."

"Yeah.." I trail off staring at the ant till it went further into an invisible dot.

"So the real reason why people don't fight back-" she turns to face me, "-is because they have something to lose if they do".

"......"

"I don't know why you're not fighting back-" she shook her head, "-but I'm sure you have reasons that are much more stressing than those bruises and cuts".

"And cause you're enduring all of that and still staying true to that reason..."

"You're the strongest person I've ever met" a soft smile follows those words, making me weak in the knees as I forcing myself to stand.

Time felt frozen and now my heart couldn't decide whether I liked it or not. A cold breeze swept between us sending a shiver down my spine but she seemed to remain calm. Her blue orbs sparkling as I saw my own shadow shift awkwardly in them.

"Umm.. uh-"

Damn what's wrong with me?

Breaking me out of my thoughts she let's out a small laugh before turning away.