33 - Miro

[Michael's POV]

"Our organisation takes care of these strays we'll be sure to find them a good home" One of the cat moms explains while bowing to the old marine guy.

"We'll be treating them and taking them into our shelter till they find a good home" Luna adds on as the rest of the pack hustles around treating feeding and cleaning the stray pets.

"On behalf of this town and nation, I bow down in respect for you sir" Luna kneels down on one knee with those words, saluting the old marine according to our pack's customs, with her head lowered and hand on her chest.

Quickly composing themselves from the shock of Luna's salute the rest of the pack bowed down in suit; making the old man look taller than when they were all towering over his short figure. But ofcourse he got flustered and quickly dismissed the group.

"W-What- Stop th-that- I did nothing- It's all th-thanks to you Ca-Can moms"

"It's Cat moms, sir" One of the Cat moms state as we all laugh a bit.

Slightly chuckling to the fumbling man, Luna stands up and signals everyone to go back to work.

After that Eric and Violet practically dragged Luna away stating that the rest of the pack could handle this, and that she had other important business to handle.

Well technically not the whole pack, just the Doctors and staff from the Shelter and some other volunteers including me and Matt and Lucy and Luke.

Everyone was split up according to their different duties, Matt and I were tasked with finding the injured strays that were hiding in further places around the town.

"I sense another path over there" Matt states point to somewhere around the corner.

"Hmm I sense more than one paths.. you think it's one of these guys?" I ask shuffling through a stack of missing pet fliers we got from the police station nearby.

"Not sure"

"Eden? what's up? Hey" a voice grabs our attention as we turned the corner, "Are you trying to get kidnapped again?".

We stop in our tracks basically staring at a boy around Luke's age, with a black hoodie pulled over- a few brown locks falling forward as he spoke down to the white dog in storage clothing.

"I won't go looking for you this time" he huffs out before noticing something beside his pet, "what're you looking at?".

Matt and I shared a look at each other, concluding on the spot that he doesn't seem dangerous. So we continued to approach him, as the paths we sniffed out earlier were coming from his direction.

We watched as the boy seemed to freeze up at whatever his dog found in the garbage pile,

"Is she.. your friend?"

"Woof!"

"Okay... you... sure have a lot of friends"

He squats down and picks up a familiar looking white pup with pink ears and tail. It took us a while to realise why the dog seemed familiar.

"M-Miro!" Matt blurts out loud as the fliers in his hands fall to the ground.

The police said she was returned to her family? So how? Did they abandon her??

Anyone would've been horrified if they saw the state Miro was in.. but this was a bit more personally traumatic to me and Matt as it made memories of our street life flash before our eyes.

When we were 13 years old, the Foster parents that we called family kicked us to the streets... just cause we were born different..

Ironic cause Foster homes are suppose to take care of you even when your different.. but when they saw our eyes glow for the first time they called us freaks, monsters and the devil himself.

And that's how we spent those horrific years on the street stealing and fending for ourselves, until we got picked up by Luna and the pack elders; and ever since we've had a family that showed us exactly how a family should be like.

Coming back to the present- the brunette male whipped in our direction as soon as Matt called out to the dog in his arms.

"Fuck" I curse out as the boy we claimed 'not dangerous' just a few minutes ago was glaring daggers through our two blue heads.

"Who are you? F*ck off before I rip your head off" the boy grits at us giving a threatening expression I never knew such a face could create.

Reminds me of Luna..

"Sorry, we're two employees from Midnight Sky.." Matt fumbles out trying to compose himself, while I noticed the male slightly flinch at the mention of our company's name "-we got informed of an animal hoarder that got caught around here and one of our coworkers called us in to take in the strays and heal them till they find a new home".

"Our team's a bit far from here, but we'd be grateful if you could let us treat that dog before you take her" I continue while gesturing at Miro.

"What makes you think I'll let you take Eden's friend? Fuck off before I smash your heads" his words were ever hostile as he inched away, holding the dog tighter.

"We're not trying to hurt her in any case you're the strange person here- let us do our jobs and treat the dog. We'll give you and your dog so food too if you'd stop being a pri-"  I snap back at him only to get cut off by Matt covering my mouth with his hand.

But the kid didn't seem to mind as his entire demeanour lightened up at the mention of food.

Huh I think we found someone's love language.

"What's this dog's name? You called it before.." the boy asks seeming timid now, a complete 180 of the gangster we met at first.

"It's Miro, she was suppose to be with her owners now but I guess they abandoned her cause she looks different" I reply to him as I stared pitifully at the starved dog.

Matt kept grumbling on about how cruel and horrible Miro's owners were for the rest of our walk back to the trucks. So I had to ask the kid to be understanding since Matt get sensitive when it comes to abandonment.

When we returned, Matt called out to the nurses and got the two pups and the kid treated and fed properly. A bunch of the nurses kept swarming around the kid -who in the heat of a million questions, answered his name was Johan- as they kept teasing the boy and giving him more food.

"Johan, you're all set!" I announce to the boy handing him the much cleaner and healthier version of Miro.

"She'll still need sometime to heal completely, so keep her in your arms till she wants to jump off" Chris, one of our doctors at the shelter advices Johan who listens obediently.

That food really mellowed him out..

"Honestly, Luna would be happy to know Miro got a better home, one that looks after her when she's sick and instead of showing her off when she's healthy" Matt rambles out happily.

The boy nods his head as if he understood what Matt said -which I doubt he did- before turning around along side his dog, Eden and walking away.

"If we ever meet again don't be a stranger!" Matt  shouts out to which the boy just waves over his shoulder.

"Hah.. Nice to see people that still care in this world" Matt smiles happily making me nod along as we continued with our business.

"Hey! Did we miss anything?" Luke calls out, running over from a distance as a complete mess.

"Not really... but what happened to you??" I reply looking at the kid from head to toe.

"Just.. helping out.." he shrugs dusting off himself as he gave off a clumsy smile.

"Anyways here's our charm back"  I give him back Luna's necklace, which he gave to me earlier going on about how he'd lose it while helping out. stating he might lose it running left and right. He happily took it in his hands before strapping it on himself while thanking me;

"Thanks Mike, I'd lose myself if I lost it".