3.

Hooriya.

One week later, the only thing I am anxious about is Asad. We haven't come face to face ever since that fateful day. He gets up late for breakfast which is served in his room. He goes to his office after he has spent a good hour with his father. He comes home extremely late at night. He seems to have a key of his own to the main door since nobody opens the door for him. I make sure I don't show him my face, lest he lose his temper again.

The only other person that he speaks to in the entire haveli is Saroj Chachi. She gives me updates on how is his mood of the day. She makes sure I cook all his food. And whatever wifely duties I can perform without coming under his radar, I do them. Like I am ironing his business suit right now, he had told chachi he had a meeting and wanted his clothes pressed. I volunteered to press, chachi and Rakeena couldn't stop giving me sly glances.

What? I am his wife. I have been trained like every other Indian girl how to be a wife. We undergo a rigorous coaching from those that are best in this field, so we don't disappoint our in-laws. Given, my in-laws are sweet.

I hand over the suit to chachi but she dismissed me saying she has work. I turn towards Rakeena and she shows me her sticky hands from the wheat flour she has been doughing. I look around for anyone else but seems like luck is not on my side today. Allah miyan! How will I face him?

I tread slowly towards enemy territory which ironically was my room a week ago, trying to delay the process or find a substitute for me for the task at hand. By the time I reach his room, I am sweating profusely. Like, what happened to all those winter winds. Calm down Hooriya, it's just Asad. The man that hates your existence.

I knock but there is no answer on the other end. Maybe he is in the washroom. Good, I will place the suit and sneak out real quick. I slowly open the door, peeking in and sigh in relief when I find no presence there.

I quickly rush towards the bed, keep the three piece suit on it and veer around as quick as I can running outside keeping my head towards the room so I am sure he doesn't see me.
Just when I am about to smile in victory, I collide with a bag full of bricks. At least, that's what it looked like at the first moment. Damn it!

"Ye pathar kis pagal ne rakha beech mein?" I say frustrated rubbing my head. Oww. Hurts pretty bad. Just my luck I found my husband glaring at my form the moment I look up. Note the sarcasm.

Mission failed Hoorie. My expressions unknowingly change from irritation to that of horror. I quickly step back to make sure he doesn't pounce on me for dashing into him. I look down nervously unable to take his harsh glare. "S..sorry. I just came to place the suit." I mumble as courageously as I can which results into stuttering. Whoa. Good to know I have confidence issues as well.

Apparently, it was the wrong thing to say because the next thing I know he is walking into his room fast and furiously took the suit and walked into the washroom. Before I could snatch that from him, he holds it under running water and it completely dampens. I try snatching it from him, but his angry look is enough to send me miles away.

After wetting it he empties the bottle of hair dye on it. Now it is destroyed for good. He throws it in the washbin after that, walking towards his bed as if nothing happened. Keep the tears at bay until we reach outside Hooriya. I walk fast outside the room without looking anywhere else and straight into the guest room that I am staying in.

It was a clear threat. If I do anything that is related to him, he will leave no chance of humiliating me. He made sure I got his point. Without a word out of his mouth.

Once my sobs die down, I walk into the washroom to take a shower. Maybe it will help my tensed muscles to relax. As the water flows down my body, I get flashes of his eyes, the way they widened when he recognized me, the way they dilated in anger, the way they twinkle in amusement at his father's antics. How his eyes narrowed in disgust at me, it feels as if I am the biggest criminal to exist. One thing is crystal clear.

His exquisite chocolate brown eyes will be my doom one day. And I can't wait for it.

As I dress into a pink salwar suit, and place the matching pink dupatta on my head I steel myself for what is to come. And I know I have to withstand a storm before meeting the calm.

Once dinner is served, Abbaji arrives into the dining table. He looks better now that he has seen his son. He smiles at me lightly patting my head.

"Where is Asad?"
How would I know. He 'abhors' even my shadow.

"Umm.. "

"I am here Dad." We turn around to see him walking down with turtle neck sweater and tight pants. His sweater hugs his muscles in all the right ways, illuminating his abs. He pulls the sleeves till they reach his elbow, it looks sexy for lack of a better word.

I avert my eyes from his frame, trying so hard and failing miserably to ignore his presence. He has the powers, to direct anyone's attention towards him effortlessly. What level of witchery is this?

My appetite is lost as I delve deeper into the enigma that Asad Khan is. He is a totally different man in his father's presence. Like right now, when he is subtly smiling at what his father is saying. He is giving his full attention to his father, and I wish I had at least some of it. He is nodding where he approved with his words, eating only when his father's eyes aren't on him as mark of respect. Not once did he spare me a glance, equalling me to one of the workers serving the dishes. Even them, he shows a polite smile out of courtesy.

I toy with my food, feeling belittled. What were you expecting Hooriya? For him to come home with open arms for you? He lost his brother because of your people. He hates Sarjungis with a passion. Don't be naive enough to think he would see you any differently. I want to stand up and walk away at the indignation. But I also don't want to give up on the only opportunity of seeing him due to my ego. Abbaji tried including me in some conversation. But I could only nod and smile at him.

Finally, the dinner come to an end. I barely had anything but at least I got to see him properly, hear his voice. How pathetic Hooriya. The feminist in me wants to snap my neck into two.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to see him. He is my shohar. I have every right to see him and hear him.
Goodness! Where did that come from? Stop it Hooriya. He will never accept you. You are just a leverage, so that the trade doesn't get affected.

I get up with my empty plate. I fumble with the plate in my hand while thinking. I catch it just before it hits the ground. I look up to see two pairs of eyes trained on me. I smile sheepishly at Abbaji trying to gather the remnants of my self respect.

"Be careful beta. You already have a red bruise on your palm. You could get hurt" Abbaji says while walking into his room. I straighten up quickly, and do the biggest mistake of my life of looking at my husband.

There is only one thing standing out from his eyes, disgust. Pure disgust.

"Ye alag musibat jhelni pad rahi hai. Pata nai isse kaise picha chutega " he walks out muttering.