4.

Mohsin Baig.

"Rashid Zara"

"Sir, intel has it that he was in Dubai when Defence Minister Pokhriyal was shot dead in his bathroom. Nothing surprising there. I mean that's the pattern they follow. The mastermind hides in the bushes while their gunmen do the dirty business. I suspect he is the root." Rohan speaks looking at the projector which is displaying Rashid's image.

" If that's the theory then it could be Raheem also. Considering he has had more stones in his way due to Minister Pokhriyal than Rashid. He was in a supposed underground meeting with other chiefs as Mr.Pokhriyal breathed his last." I counter and the others nod in affirmation.

"So what's our move Sir?" Since Altaf Sir isn't here, I am issuing orders on the cases. This is the difficult part. Everyone under suspect needs to be interrogated and these fuckers won't cooperate. I wonder how Altaf Sir managed this.

"Send an enquiry notice to both of them at the same time." I command and we conclude the meeting.

I ask Rohan to print the update for when I take it to Altaf Sir's place. Even though I called the actions, I take his advice over everything. I am just waiting for him to get back to his health and resume charge.

The rest of the day passes in reading case files. After the officer timings are over, I walk out not before collecting the case file, heading towards Khan Villa.

I rub my temples as I think of that woman. Mahira Khan, that crazy fierce wanton woman. I blame my stars for aligning with hers, like why on earth did I ever think attending that wedding three years ago was a good idea. I was there in a decent black blazer and jeans, just to honour Altaf sir's wish never in my wildest dreams thinking I would be the groom myself.

I hadn't seen that failure of a bastard who left her alone, on her wedding but I knew for sure he didn't deserve to be Sir's son in law. Ever since I got married that day, I always had this question nagging me. How could someone like Altaf Khan choose a pesky, coward motherfucker to be his son in law. It got answered last week, his brat of a daughter is crazy for him.
Even after three years of his deceit and him not looking back to check up on her even once, she still lives for him.

Normal people would by now have forgotten the incident, and moved on. Maybe find another guy, the right one this time. But no, the great Mahira Khan has to be still stuck in the past, planning a revenge that I know will backfire upon her and thinking of him. My jaw clenches unconsciously as I recall how her eyes shone with a deep intensity whenever she thinks of him.

Whatever. I don't care what she does in her life. I just want out of this marriage of convenience. Altaf Sir asked of me, and I knew I couldn't refuse him. After that, I just left for my UPSC preparation. I never thought about this relationship much. It was just a burden, an obligation I was deemed to fulfil for all the things Altaf mamu did for me.

Though he is my Mamu, I never address him that because I respect him too much. He helped my dad with his business when things had gone downhill for us. I still remember that shaky phase as a teen, dad was bankrupt, mom diagnosed with tuberculosis which is treated now Alhamdulillah. He stood with us like a pillar, and I know I would do anything he demands me to.

I stop the car near the gates, getting down and click the Bluetooth as I hear a call notification.

"Assalamualaikum Mama! Kaisi hain?" It's been a while since we last spoke.

"Walaikumassalam beta. Main badiya hun. Tune khana khaya hai na? Ya ab tak bhooka hai?" She begins her usual complains.

"Mama relax! Main khalunga, abhi main Altaf Sir ke ghar par hun."