6.

Amyra Sadaf.

Two more days are spent in the similar anxiety of worrying over his whereabouts. He didn't call me back inspite of ringing him numerous times. Where are you  Aly? How could you be this irresponsible. He disappeared in thin air. No contact whatsoever. I had come to the point to get his number traced. I have a friend or two in the police department and I could pull in a few strings. But Mamijaan's words stopped me.

'Beta agar wo chahta ki hamein pata ho wo kahan hai to wo hamein bata deta. Mujhe lagta hai use akele rehna hai. Use samai ki zarurat hai, akelepan ki. Jab usne Saniya ke guzarne ki khabar suni thi to wo ek hafte tak kamre mein band tha. Khana peena,  paani nahana. Sab chhod diya tha. Uska dard bahut bada hai. Use kuch waqt de do please.' She had sobbed before me with joined hands, and I didn't know what else to do. So I just agreed.

Meanwhile, Faizu wasn't as active as he used to. He had reduced his milk intake in these two days. He refused to drink more than half a bottle. I don't know what I should do. The first day I thought it was because he missed his father. Because believe it or not, he is a daddy's boy. And yes, such a thing exists. But yesterday he looked slightly feverish, I had given him his emergency syrup.

Right now we are sitting in Dr.Riyana's cabin as she examines his body.

"He has got viral fever. I am jotting down a prescription for it, he should be fine within three days. Kids get prone to infections because of lack of nutrition. Compared to the last time I saw him, he looks slightly malnourished. This is a common problem with children that are not supported by breastfeeding. I had asked you to begin with it weeks ago. Why haven't you started yet?"

I gulp, trying to swallow the lump in my throat.
"I can't possibly begin doing that without his father's permission. I will need Aman's consent for this. So I just thought we could do with the breast pump for now."

She shakes her head disappointed, "It was my job as a doctor to tell you what is to be done. Now you can do whatever you deem fit. If you want his health to improve, you need to start breastfeeding him and fast at that. I can talk to Aman if that's what it takes."

"No, I will speak speak him myself. If there is a problem I will call you and then you can explain it to him." I say nervously already sweating at the thought of the conversation.

I walk out of the hospital with Faizu and take a taxi home. I need to call Aman and if he doesn't pick up I will have him traced no matter what. This is about my baby, and I can't take anymore chances than I already have.

But what amazed me was to be greeted with a tired Aman sleeping in  Mamijaan's lap in the living room. I want to steal in happiness but I just smile at the scene. Faizu fell asleep on the way so I go into our room and put him in his crib.

When I come down, both of them are still in the same place. I quickly make coffee for all of us and settle down beside Aman's laid form. Before I can remove his cup from the tray, he gets up quickly and muttering something to his mother is off upstairs.

Leaving me gobsmacked, like what just happened. Did he just ignore me like a pro? Isko main abhi batati hun. Before I can follow him, my hand is caught by another.

Mamijaan looks at me pleading, "He is not fine right now Ammu. Mat ladna usse."

"Mamijaan aap samajh nahin rahi. Jaise aapko apne bete ki fiqr hai waise hi mujhe mere bete ki. Mera Aman se baat karna zaroori hai, agar wo seedhe se baat nahin karega to kisi aur tareeke se hi sahi."

I tread towards our room assuming he is there but I am shocked to not find him there. There is only one other bedroom on the floor, that of his and Saniya. I gasp at the possibility. A fear like I haven't known before creeps into my body, shaking my  head to get rid of the fearful thoughts I slowly walk towards their bedroom praying with everything in me, to not find him there.

The door to their room is slightly open, giving me the view of Aman sleeping haphazardly on the bed clutching the pillow to his chest. Why are things becoming difficult  for me every passing moment.

I somehow gather enough strength to talk to him about the impending matter.  I walk to him placing my hand on his shoulder. He jerks it off immediately. Shit. He doesn't want to face me.

"Aly" I plead.

He doesn't turn around to face me.

"Aly! Sun na, tujhe kuch batana hai. Important baat hai Aly. Tu aise muh phulake baithega to kaise chalega, meri taraf dekh mujhe kuch puchna hai tujhe." I settle down beside him and hug his frame from behind, rubbing my fingers on his chest. I always did that to him whenever he was restless.

The next moment I am on my back facing the bed and he is out of my embrace breathing hard. I am sure my eyes display the hurt I  am feeling right now. Even when he used to have frustration episodes like this in his teenage, he never rejected my soothing touch. He is standing on the bed with red rimmed eyes.

"Chhuna mat mujhe dubara. Maine tumhe mere jism par koi haq nahin diya hai Amyra. Apni had mein raho." He states with a poker face and is out of the room the next instant.

Amyra?

Amyra? Kya usne sach mein mujhe Amyra kaha? Ya Allah, ye kahan se kahan aagaye hain hum. I cluctch my head recalling what just happened.

What is wrong with him? Main konsa uske jism par biwi wale haq maang rahi thi. I was just trying to soothe him like I  have always done.

I take my phone texting Dr.Riyana.

'You need to step in. I am sending you his number.'