18.

Mahira Khan.

The moment my eyes blink open, I groan due to the pounding of my head. It feels like my head is being hammered.

"Hira! Mera bacha", I hear mom squealing. I try smiling at her faintly. She engulfs me into her warmth instantly.

"Mama, wo......Mohsin kaha hai? Nai aaya? " she pats my head, wiping her tears. Just then the door barges open and I look up expectantly hoping its my man.

"Hira! Kaisa hai mera bacha? ", papa reaches me in two strides, grabbing my hand which I just discovered has an IV attached to it.

"Papa, I'm fine. Just a little dizzy. He did not come, did he? ", I ask  but the sullen look on their faces is answer enough. My throat feels parched all of a sudden and the bright light streaming through the window seems dull.

What were you expecting Hira? Him to come running back to you just because you fainted? This is not a movie.

"Mahira. Stop asking irrelevant questions, just focus on your health. And pray tell, Mahira Baig, what in the holy world were you thinking while starving yourself to death? The doctor tells me your system hasn't had any solid food in three days. " Dad seems really upset with my actions.

I know it was not the best thing to do, but I couldn't eat knowing he has given up on me. I had sent him shayaris for four days straight but he didn't respond even once. I know I did wrong with him, I shouldn't have taken him for granted but I regret it now.

Mom gasps, looking at me accusingly, "I thought you needed time for yourself. That's why I did not force you to come out of your room and sent the food there thinking you would be eating. But you tricked me, how could you be so irresponsible Mahira?"

I close my eyes, trying to think of a way to fix this. The last two weeks were terrible. I can't not miss him, I can't not think about him. How did I come under phupi's influence? I should have persuaded her more, atleast I shouldn't have lied to Mohsin.

Gosh, I messed it up so bad. He said he wanted to be with me, he wanted to start fresh. The first time he confessed something and I messed it all up. No no no. I can't be lying here on a bed when he is going away from me every second. What if phupi decides to get him married again?

Not fucking possible. I will kill any woman within his five mile radius. They will have to face my wrath before even laying eyes on my Mohsin.

I need to see him, like right now. I get up from the bed. Mom and dad are discussing something, I quickly remove the syringe from my arm, trying to be discreet. A few blood drops come out along the syringe and I quickly spring to my feet, atleast as fast as a patient can get.

The moment I begin walking, both my parents yelp, "Mahira!! What did you do to your hand?"

The next minute, the door barges open again. C'mon, is there no privacy here? I swear if it's a doctor trying to add to my hurdle, I will kill him.

"Look here Doctor, don't you dare... " I gasp in sheer astonishment at the figure standing before me with scrunched brows and dilated eyes scanning me.

"Mohsin!", my eyes tear up as I step forward and he takes two simultaneously. His hands make their way to my back while he is still staring at my hand that has blood on it with panic.

So he heard us and came in. Does that mean he was here all the time?

Goodness, I can't explain how ecstatic that makes me feel. I do the only thing I have been craving for, for the last fifteen days, wrap my hands around his torso, digging my head in his sturdy chest. I don't care about anything right now, not even my parents watching us. Tears stream down my eyes on their own accord, wetting his crisp shirt.

I sniffle, trying to sound less cringe worthy, "Where were you?" I rub my nose against his shirt purposely, I know he hates dirt. He made me cry so much for him.

He clears his throat, removing my hands from his body. He steps back, looking apologetically at dad. Ugh, he and his respect.

I tell mom through my eyes I need some alone time with my husband. She catches on quickly whispering something to Dad and he instantly straightens up, walking towards the door followed by Mom.

As the door closes behind them, Mohsin grabs my hand dragging me to the bed and that's when I realize I am in the hospital gown and I bet I look like a clown. How pathetic! Allah, what would he think of me?

I notice he hasn't yet looked at me, he takes the cotton from the medical instruments, cleaning the blood. After he is done, he keeps his eyes on my hand while mine are on him.

After a few minutes, he gets up turning around, but I grab his hand fast, "Please don't go. Stay",  I whisper praying he changes his mind.

"I have no rights to stay Ms.Khan. Like you said, this marriage is not real. I was just passing through this area and Sir called me saying I am still legally attached to you so I have to be here. I was just fulfilling a formality." He speaks in a no nonsense tone, like the uptight CBI officer Baig that he is.

I chuckle, knowing all too well he is lying. My fingers clasp his left wrist, as I bring it closer to me. They slowly trace his hard skin, finally resting on the wedding ring on his finger. A genuine smile spreads in my face when I slowly slide it from his finger and notice a white patch on the region covered by the ring. Meaning it has been on his fingers for a few years.

I pull the ring back to it's original place,the fact that he accepted me long ago makes happy and sad at the same time. How did I not see it before? His unseen love.

"I understand you are extremely busy. But I would be really happy if you stay here for some more time, if not as your wife then just as a patient. Please." I plead, not knowing if I deserve the time of his day.

That's when he looks back up at me, with a scrutinising gaze trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Because the last time he saw me, I was pushing him away with all the vile words.

He nods, still seemingly confused. My grin widens, as I settle on the bed with him beside me. He gestures me to lay down, I lay down happily making sure his left hand is in mine. Holding his hand in both of mine, I bring it closer to my chest closing my eyes. My finger unconsciously rubs his ring finger just around the ring. This ring is so precious.

I close my eyes, willing myself to sleep. I know there is still a lot of repenting I have left. I need to win him back. I had lost focus of myself, that's why I got influenced my phupi's  words. But not anymore. Whether she forgives me or not, I can never give up on Mohsin. Not until I am sane.

I will earn his forgiveness and win his love. I am, afterall Mahira Altaf Khan! I have never aimed at something and not achieved it and it's not about to change now.

Mohsin Baig was fated to be my other half and no force can stop me from keeping it just that way.