8.

Mahira Khan.

The next week comes with a lot of fake smiles, forced rituals, hand holding with Mohsin which in all honesty was a hilarious task trying to hold in my laughter at his irritated self and acting the part of a Baig daughter-in-law. The word itself is foreign to me, invoking nothing but nervousness at the prospect of disappointing phupi.

She was elated to have me as her bahu, to say the least. It made me guilty, I only now realised I dragged complete innocents in my quest for justice. Phupi always treated me like her own daughter, even though their financial conditions weren't great back then but she always pampered me with gifts whenever she came home. I can't play with their emotions, it would be wrong to hide my real intentions behind this marriage.

Just a few more days, after that I will confess the truth to phupi. I will take whatever punishments she wants me to get. The least I can do now is be sincere with my emotions. I will sincerely fulfil my part as Mohsin's wife and my responsibilities towards his family. With that new determination, I get from my side of the bed looking over the other side to find Mohsin curled up in the quilt. The big, broody man sleeps like a baby at night, I am going to tease him about it some day.

He never talks to me for more than two minutes, I bet even his assistant gets more of his attention than his own wife.

Wait. What? Wife??? You are going nuts Hira! I shake my head getting ready for the day, a nervous feeling builds up in the pit of my stomach as I recall today's protocol. Your countdown begins now Amir Husnain.

I quickly get dressed, walking down and into the kitchen with the red file that has Amir's heart.

"Hira! Uth gai beta. Kahin jaane ka plan hai kya?" I smile at phupi, how a sweet lady like her birthed an obnoxious jerk like Mohsin is beyond me. Nature works in weird ways, you see.

"Phupi, meri ek security company ke saath meeting hai. Unhe kuch software hack karne mein meri help chahiye, to main wahi discuss karne jaa rahi hoon. Late hojayega loutne, agar Mohsin uthe to aap bata dengi please?" It was not a complete lie, I did have a meeting but that is in the afternoon.

I head out after a light breakfast, with a racing heart and sweating palms to bring into action what I have been preparing for, from the last three years. Every little detail about how the next two hours are going to go down has been immaculately planned to seconds, without a minor chance of  mistake.

I take a random taxi to my destination, because I know if I had taken one of our cars Mohsin would have tracked me down. If I know anything about Mohsin, he must have already suspected something wrong with how I left today. So before he catches up, I need to finish the task.

I step out of the taxi looking up at the huge steel words painted in H & Co.
I straighten my shoulders, excitement buzzing through my nerve endings. Finally, the day is here. Revenge time, Hira!!

As expected, Umer is standing outside the meeting room talking with investors like they have been lifetime buddies. Ah, the art of deception. That's his favourite weapon.

His eyes catch mine and he discreetly gives a mock salute, meaning the plan is in motion. I smirk, an evil smirk. Now we wait. So I change directions, heading towards the washroom to check my makeup. What? A girl's gotta do what she has gotta do.

By the time I am done, I wince seeing half an hour has already passed. Damn. I am late to my first board meeting inspite of coming early. Makeup does that to you, ladies.

I quickly rush out of the washroom, sauntering towards the meeting room. Before the doors are pushed open, I hear just what was supposed to be said here.