6

❛ aunty em's ❜

SO THERE THEY WERE, THREE DEMIGODS AND A SATYR, WALKING THROUGH THE WOODS ALONG THE NEW JERSEY RIVERBANK.

Grover shivered and braying, his eyes full of terror,
"Three Kindly Ones. All three at once."

"Come on! The farther we get, the better." Annabeth said, with Y/n strutting by her side.

"All our money was back there." Percy reminded her, "Our clothes, our food. Everything."

"Well, maybe if you hadn't decided to jump into the fight—"

"What did you want me to do? Let you get killed?"

"Sliced like a sandwich bread," Grover put in, "but fine."

"Shut up goat boy." said Annabeth. He brayed mournfully as Annabeth went ahead. Y/n paused until she fell in line next to Percy.

"She appreciates your coming back to save us. She really does. It's just, if you died..aside from the fact that it would really suck for you, it would mean the quest is over. This may be the only chance for Annie and I to see the real world." Her head hung low, kicking stones off her way. The thunderstorm let up. The city glow faded behind them, leaving them in almost total darkness.

"You guys haven't left Camp Half-blood since you were seven?"

"No...only short field trips. Camp half-blood is our home. At camp you train and train—that's cool and everything but it's all you ever do. Annabeth believes that going on a quest is where you figure out if you're good or not."

"What about you?" He asked.

Y/n raised a brow, "Huh?"

Percy elaborated, "Why did you want to go on this quest?"

"No one's really asked me that."

"So I'm no one then?" Percy scoffed playfully.

Y/n rolled her eyes, "I don't know...I guess i want some adventure in my life. I-I want to prove people that their godly parent doesn't define who they are. I want to show that a daughter of Aphrodite is capable of being something more than an object, a statue to be stared at. That we've got more than just beauty."

She looked at Percy who didn't say a thing, "I know. It's stupid." She scoffed.

"I think you're pretty good with that sword."

Y/n's face lit up, "You think so?"

He nodded, "I guess the daughter of Aphrodite is capable of something more after all."

Percy couldn't really see but he swore he saw her smile.

"Hey, my reed pipes still work!" Grover cried, "If I could just remember a 'find path' song, we could get out of these woods!"

He puffed a few notes but instead of finding a path, Percy slammed into a tree, causing Y/n to burst into laughter.

It wasn't a few seconds before Y/n walked straight into a tree which had just grew out of the ground. It was Percy's turn to laugh now.

"Grover!" Y/n yelled in pain.

He flinched and cringed, "Sorry!"

Y/n looked at Percy and punched him in the arm. He looked at her, taken aback yet repayed her with a punch of his own. Soon they broke out in a playful fight, punching each other and running away.

𓋼𓍊𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊

THEY WALKED ANOTHER MILE OR SO AND STARTED TO SEE LIGHT, UP AHEAD. THE SMELL OF FOOD RUSHED IN THEIR NOSES.