23

❛ charybdis ❜

ANNABETH WANTED TO BE LEFT ALONE.

And Y/n understood. It wasn't everyday the person you call your brother betrays you to destroy the world and cause a war. So the brunette went up the deck, meeting Percy on the way.

"How is she?" He asked.

Y/n knew exactly who he was referring to and shook her head, "She needs time. Don't worry, I'll make sure she's alright."

"I believe you."

They held onto the railing in awkward silence due to their recent argument until a familiar voice spoke faintly, coming from the captain quarters.

Y/n scrunched her eyebrows, "Do you hear that?"

Percy turned his gaze toward her, "Hear what?"

She placed a finger to her mouth, signalling him to be quite and moved closer to Clarisse's quarter.

"I don't want excuses young girl!"

Y/n's eyes widen as she figured out the voice it belonged to.

"Ares." Percy exhaled, as if reading her thoughts.

They crept over a ventilation grate and peered down into the boiler deck. There, stood Ares and Clarisse having a conversation.

"Y-yes, father." Clarisse whispered, her head down.

"You don't want to see me mad, do you?"

"N-no father."

"No father," Ares mocked, "You're pathetic. I should've let one of my sons take this quest."

"I'll succeed!" Clarisse's voice was soft, "I'll make you proud." She promised.

"You better." Ares warned, "You asked me for this quest girl, if you let that slimeball Jackson kid steal it from you—"

"But the Oracle said—"

"I don't care what the Oracle said!" Ares bellowed, "You will succeed! And if you don't..." he raised his fist, causing Clarisse to flinch, even if he was an image on steam. Y/n clenched her fists, disgusted by Ares and how he treats Clarisse—her out of all people should know what that felt like.

"Do we understand each other?" Clarisse nodded quickly.

"C'mon let's get out of here before she catches both of us." Percy mumbled, dragging Y/n away.

The brunette felt bad for the girl. She knew what it was like, wanting to feel accepted by her father, wanting to make him proud.

She shivered at the similarity of Ares and her own father.

What is wrong with my mom's taste?

𓋼𓍊𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧𓋼𓍊

"AT LAST!" CLARISSE CHEERED, "CAPTAIN, FULL STEAM AHEAD!"

A groaning noise sounded from below as the boat picked up speed. Tyson glanced around nervously as he muttered a few words, "Too much strain on the pistons. Not meant for deep water."

Y/n heard it and it seems like Percy too. They exchanged looks—both of them confused, not understanding before the voice of Annabeth broke their contact, "Hurricane?"

Y/n looked out to sea. On the north side, out of the sea were cliffs clustered into islands. If a piece broke off, the whole ship was going under. On the south, was a storm brewing a mile out.