27

❛ the fleece ❜

TYSON TOLD THEM THE SHORT VERSION OF HIS JOURNEY.

Apparently, Rainbow—the hippocampus—followed them in their journey ever since Long Island Sound, waiting for the kind Cyclops to play with him and found Tyson sinking beneath the wreckage of the CSS Birmingham and pulled him to safety.

"Tyson!" Y/n let a dry laugh, "Thank the gods. Annabeth is hurt!"

The brunette knelt beside her friend. The gash was worse than she thought. Her hairline was sticky with blood. Her skin was pale and clammy.

"You thank the gods she is hurt?" Tyson asked, a puzzled look on his face.

"No!" She exchanged looks with Percy.

"Tyson, the Fleece. Can you get it for me?" Percy asked.

"Which one?" The Cyclops looked around the sheep.

"In the tree! The gold one!"

"Oh. Pretty. Yes."

Tyson lumbered over, careful not to step on a sheep and reached up for the Fleece. As soon as the Fleece left it's post, the leaves of the tree turned yellow. He started walking toward the group but Percy told him, "No time! Throw it over!"

The gold ram skin flew through the air and Percy caught it with a grunt. He definitely didn't expect it to be as heavy as it was. The boy promptly gave it to Y/n who didn't hesitate to throw it over Annabeth's limp body. The brunette held the girl's hand close to her chest, praying to the gods.

Please. Please.

"Annie, please." Y/n begged, "Please don't leave me. I need you here. What am I going to do without you? Please, come back."

Mercifully, color returned to her face. The gash on her forehead closed. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked at Grover weakly, "You're not...married?"

Y/n laughed out of respite as she hugged her friend gently, as if she was a fragile thing.

Grover grinned, "No. My friends talked me out of it."

"Annabeth." Percy said, "Just lay still."

But despite their protests and Y/n's orders, she sat up. She looked better than before. Her wound was almost completely healed. Her face wasn't as pale as before, pleasing Y/n.

"We have to go," Percy told them, "Our ship is..." Their ship was far away. The shortest route had been over the chasm, but the bridge was gone. Their only way was through the flock of man-eating sheep. "Tyson, can you lead the flock as far away as possible?"

"The sheep want food!" Tyson called back.

"I know! They want people food! Just lead them away from the path. Give us time to get to the beach. Then join us there."

Tyson looked doubtful, but he whistled anyway, "Come, sheepies! Um, people food this way!" He jogged off as the flock bleated and followed after him.

Y/n braced her hand on Annabeth's shoulders, "Keep the Fleece around you," she told her, "Just in case you're not fully healed yet. Can you stand?"

She tried, but instantly sat back down, her face turning pale, "Ooh. Not fully healed." She said through breaths.

Clarisse dropped beside her and felt her chest causing the younger girl to gasp, "Ribs broken." She said. "They're mending, but definitely broken."

"How can you tell?" Percy asked.

Clarisse gave him a glare, "Because I've broken a few, runt! I'll have to carry her."