9

❛ a little visit from a god ❜

THE FOUR OF THEM SAT IN A BOOTH AT A GLEAMING CHROME DINER.

The waitress came over and raised a brow skeptically, "Well?"

"We, um, we want to order dinner." Percy said

"You kids have money to pay for it?"

Grover's lips quivered, Annabeth looked like she was ready to pass out and Y/n looks like a zombie.

Then, a motorcycle came up, shaking the whole building. All conversation stopped. The cycle's headlights glared red. Its gas tank had flames painted on it, and a shotgun holster riveted to either side. They guy on the bike dressed in a red muscle shirt and black jeans and leather duster.

He wore red wraparound shades and had the cruelest, most brutal face ever. When he came in a gust of hot, dry wind blew through the place.

The waitress blinked. She asked them again, "You kids have money for it?"

Y/n was about to open her mouth before the biker said, "It's on me." he slid into their booth, squishing Annabeth and Grover.

He looked to the waitress who was gaping at him, "Are you still here?" She turned and marched back towards the kitchen.

The guy gave Percy a wicked grin, "So you're old Seaweed's kid huh?"

"What's it to you?"

Annabeth's eyes flashed him a warning, "Percy, this is—"

Y/n didn't care. She hated him because of how much he reminded her of the guy her mom had married.

The biker raised his hand, "S'okay. I don't mind a little attitude. Long as you remember who's the boss. You know who I am little cousin?"

Percy thought about it before saying, "You're Clarisse's dad. Ares, god of war."

Ares grinned and took of his shades. His eyes were replaced by fire, "That's right punk." he turned his head to Y/n who was playing with her rings, "Ah. Aphrodite's daughter. I've heard about you. You and your siblings all look like your mom. Anyways, I heard you broke Clarisse's spear."

"She was asking for it."

"Probably. That's cool. I don't fight my kids' fights, you know? What I'm here for—I heard you were in town. I got a little proposition for you."

The waitress came back with heaping trays of food. Ares handed her a few gold drachmas. She looked nervously at the coins, "But these aren't..."

He pulled a huge knife and started cleaning his fingernails, "You got a problem sweetheart?"

The waitress swallowed, then left with the gold.

"You can't do that." Y/n said, "You can't just threaten people with a knife."

Ares laughed, "Are you kidding? I love this country. Best place since Sparta. Don't you carry a weapon? You should. Dangerous world out there. Which brings me to my proposition. I need you to do me a favour."

"What favour could I do for a god?" Percy questioned.

"Something a god doesn't have time to do himself. It's nothing much. I left my shield at an abandoned water park here in town. I was going on a little...date with my girlfriend."

Y/n choked on her chocolate shake, wiping her mouth with a tissue.

"We were interrupted. I left my shield behind. I want you to fetch it for me."