29

❛ party ponies ❜

"ONE ON ONE," PERCY SAID, "WHAT ARE YOU SO AFRAID OF?"

Luke grinned. The soldiers surrounding them waited for their order. Agrius burst onto the deck with a pure-black flying horse. It's wings spread opened as it bucked and whinnied.

"Sir!" Agrius yelled as he dodged a hoof, "Your stead is ready!"

Luke kept his eyes on Percy, "I told you last summer, Percy. You can't bait me into a fight."

Percy kept digging, "And you keep avoiding one. Scared your warriors will get whipped?"

"Luke!" Y/n yelled. The blond boy turned his head at her voice, "Let us—"

"Cover her mouth!" Luke ordered, "Hope you didn't think I forgot about your powers now, Y/n."

One of his crew that held Y/n in place covered her mouth, her grunts were muffled.

"I'll kill you quickly." Luke scowled at Percy. Y/n watched as he drew his sword, the blade glinted with a gray-and-gold light where the human steel had been melded with celestial bronze. He whistled to one of his men, who threw him a round leather-and-bronze shield.

"Luke," Annabeth said, "at least give him a shield."

"Sorry, Annabeth. You bring your own equipment to this party."

Luke lunged and almost killed Percy on the first try. His sword went under his arm, smashing through Percy's shirt and grazing his ribs.

"My, Percy," Luke chided, "You're out of practice."

He came at him again but Percy was quick to parry returning with a thrust but Luke sidestepped easily.

Y/n—being an expert on being poisoned, could tell Percy's ribs stung by the way his jaw clenched and his teeth gritting.

When Luke lunged again, Percy jumped backwards into the swimming pool. He spun underwater, creating a funnel cloud, and blasted out of the deep end, straight at Luke's face.

The force of the water knocked the teen down. But die Percy could strike, he rolled aside and was on his feet again.

The younger boy attacked and sliced off the edge of Luke's shield. The blonde dropped to crouch and handed at Percy's legs. The pain was intense He collapsed.

Y/n bit the hand that covered her mouth and yelled, "Percy! Perce, wake up! Jackson!"

His jeans were ripped above the knee. Luke hacked downward and Percy rolled behind a deck chair. He tried to stand but his leg wouldn't take the weight.

He rolled again as Luke's sword slashed the deck chair in half. Y/n watched in fear as Percy clawed toward the swimming pool.

He's not gonna make it.

And Luke knew that too. He advanced, slowly smiling. The edge of his sword was tinged with red.

"One thing I want you to watch before you die, Percy." He looked at the bear-man who held Y/n and her friends by their necks, "You can eat your dinner now, Oreius. Bon appetit."

"He-he! He-he!" Orieus lifted Y/n up and barred his teeth.

Whish!

A red-feathered arrow sprouted from Oreius's mouth. With a surprised look on hood hairy face, he crumpled to the ground.

"Brother!" Agrius wailed. He let the pegasus's reins go slack just long enough door the black steed to kick him in the head and fly free.

Y/n was stunned to do anything, along with everybody else. Then there was a chorus of ear cried and hooves thundering against metal. A dozen centaurs charged out of the main stairwell.