13

❛ hades ❜

THE GROUP TRIED TO BLEND WITH THE CROWD , KEEPING AN EYE OUT FOR SECURITY GHOULS.

They crept along, following the line of new arrivals that snaked from the main gates toward a black-tented pavilion with a banner that read:

JUDGEMENTS FOR ELYSIUM AND ETERNAL DAMNATION
Welcome, Newly Deceased!

Y/n thought it was kinda nice they'd put a welcome banner coming from well—hell.

They left the judgment pavilion and moved deeper into the Asphodel Fields. Colors began to fade from their clothes.

After a few miles of walking, they began to hear a familiar screech in the distance. Above them were the Furies.

"I suppose it's too late to turn back." Grover whispered wistfully.

"We'll be okay." Percy tried to convince him.

"Maybe we should search some of the other places first. Like the Elysium for instance.."

"Come on goat boy." Annabeth grabbed his arm.

Grover yelped, his sneakers sprouted wings and his legs shot forwards, pulling away from Annie. He landed flat on his back.

"Grover!" Y/n chided, "Stop messing around!"

"But I didn't—"

He yelped again. His shoes were flapping crazy. They levitated and dragged him away from his friends.

"Maia!" He yelled, "Maia already! Nine-one-one! Help!" He was picking up speed, skidding downhill like a bobsled.

They ran after him. Annabeth yelled, "Untie your shoes!" But doing that with a flying shoe is tougher than it looks. He couldn't get close enough.

They kept after him. His shoes veered sharply to the right, and the slope got steeper. The cavern walls narrowed on either sides. It was all rock underfoot and the dim light of the stalactites above.

"Grover!" Percy's voice echoed, "Hold on to something!" He grabbed a gravel but it wasn't big enough to slow him.

The tunnel got darker and colder. Ahead of them the tunnel widened into a huge dark cavern, and in the middle was a chasm the size of a city block.

Grover was sliding straight toward the edge.

"Come on Percy!" Y/n tugged on his wrist.

"But that's—"

"We know!" Annabeth shouted, "The place you described in your dream! But Grover's going to fall if we don't catch him."

He was clawing until finally he hit a big rock and the left shoe came off. The shoes were always big on him.

He was ten feet from the edge of the pit when the demigods caught him and hauled him back up.

They all collapsed, exhausted on the obsidian gravel. Grover's hands were bleeding, "I don't know how..." he panted, "I didn't..."

"Wait," Percy whispered, "Listen."

Y/n heard something, a deep whisper in the darkness. She didn't like it at all. It sent shivers up her spine, "Percy, this place—"

"Shh." he stood up. Y/n looked at Annabeth uneasily.

The sound was getting louder from far far below them. Coming from the pit.

"Wh-what's that noise?" Grover sat up

Annabeth heard it too, "Tartarus. The entrance to Tartarus."