10

❛ tunnel of love ❜

THE GROUP CONTINUED TO FIND THE TUNNEL OF LOVE.

"So Ares and Aphrodite" Percy said, "they have a thing going?"

"That's old gossip Percy" Y/n told him, "Three-thousand-year-old gossip."

"What about her husband?"

"Well you know, Hephaestus. The blacksmith. He was crippled when he was a baby, thrown off Mount Olympus by Zeus. So he isn't exactly handsome. Clever with his hands and all, but my mom isn't into brains and talent you know?"

"Do you like bikers too?"

Y/n shook head, "No. I guess unlike my mom I care a lot about the personality. Never in a million years would I date a biker whose hotheaded. Maybe a skateboarder—but not someone whose alot like Ares. Someone humbled."

"Oh. I've skateboarded before." Percy said, not realizing what he'd said.

Annabeth and Grover, however, knew what he'd said. They shared the same look, mirroring each other's smirk.

"Does Hephaestus know?"

"Oh sure." Y/n nodded  "He caught them together once. I mean, literally caught them, in a golden net, and invited all the gods to come and laugh at them. Hephaestus is always trying to embarrass them. That's why they meet in out-of-way places like...."

"Like that." Annabeth pointed.

In front of them was an empty pool. It was at least fifty yards across and shaped like a bowl. Around the rim, a dozen bronze statues of Cupid stood guard with wings spread and bows ready to fire.

On the opposite side of them, a tunnel opened up, probably where the water flowed into when the pool was full.

Grover crept toward the edge, "Guys look."

Marooned at the bottom of the pool was a pink and white two seater boat with a canopy over the top and little hearts painted all over it. In the left seat, glinting in the fading light was Ares's shield.

"This is too easy." Percy mumbled, "So we just walk down there and get it?"

Annabeth ran her fingers along the base of the nearest Cupid statue, "There's a Greek letter carved here. Eta. I wonder..."

"Grover," Y/n said, "You smell any monsters?"

He sniffed the wind, "Nothing."

Percy gave him a look, "Nothing like, in-the-Arch-and-you-didn't-smell-Echidna nothing, or really nothing?"

Grover looked hurt, "I told you, that was underground."

"Okay. I'm sorry" Percy took a breath, "I'm going down there."

"I'll go with you." Grover didn't sound so enthusiastic.

"No." Percy told him, "I want you to stay up top with the flying shoes. You're the Red Baron, a flying ace, remember? I'll be counting on you for backup, in case something goes wrong."

"Sure. But what could go wrong?"

"I don't know. Just a feeling. Annabeth, come with me—"

"Are you kidding? Me, go with you to the...the Thrill Ride of Love? How embarrassing is that? What if somebody saw me?"

"Who's going to see you?" Annabeth still didn't look like she was going, "Fine. Y/n you're coming with me."

"Why me?"