02 ➹ poison-ivy

tw: mention of self harm/suicide (a comment on it, nothing too vulgar)

(a comment on it, nothing too vulgar)

THREE WEEKS EARLIER

"IF YOU REALLY loved me, you wouldn't send her away."

"Sagey, not right now." Dad dismisses with his fingers placed at the bridge of his nose.

"But dad! That's so unfair, she didn't do anything wrong. Why don't you believe me?" Why doesn't anybody ever believe me?

Dad looks over from where he's seated in his home office, flicking through a newspaper. He's like the only person in this modern day world that even does that anymore. I mean, the last person that I saw read one was that one tall Lincoln president and I'm pretty sure he's dead.

"Well, it's because we heard the recording. What the hell were you thinking Sage? Getting with the maid, are you on drugs or something?"

"Not anything you don't know about!"

A hint of a smile tugs at his lips, but he represses it with a frown. "You know how detrimental this is for business."

"The drugs or the scandal?" Dad shoots me down with a knowing look, before brushing back the thick mop of light brunette hair I inherited from him, except mines always been wavier in contrast to his moderately straight hair.

I sigh out loud, messing with the calendar I gifted him when I was nine. It's a photo shoot I had taken - in the awkward family photo style, but it was all me. I dressed like the grandma in a grey wig, the hot sister in a brunette one, the mother with a bra I stole from mom which Saamiya Daler had to help me out with by stuffing it.

Mom and Dad despise her parents, like pure hatred because of some art war but she's not too bad. In fact, she's pretty great, as in she still remains one of my closest friends. We used sneak out a lot when we'd be in the same city for art events.

Nothing ever happened though, Saamiya always said her standards were higher - which made us both laugh at because the first guy that looked remotely attractive would have her head turning.

"I just don't think we should ever do anything, that's like rule number one to not ruin a friendship." She dug the coloured plastic spoon in her ice cream before taking it into her mouth waiting for my response.

"But I'm in love with you." It'd come out so sincere.

We looked at each other before bursting out with laughter, at one point I started to choke on my mango sorbet I'd bought as we sat looking over the beach.

"Now you just sound like Mom." I groan turning to face dad and the sculptures that take up the office's interior. Naked men, women and some are so alike I can't even distinguish because of the cut offs. I look away when I feel like one of them is staring. Sorry.