54 ➹ beggin' you

IT DOESN'T TAKE a genius to figure out that she's avoiding me

IT DOESN'T TAKE a genius to figure out that she's avoiding me. It takes less of a genius to realise why.

She's down the hall from me and I haven't seen her in days. How the fuck does that even make sense? How is that even possible?

I'll tell you how, I've got a stubborn and over-thinker personified for a girl.

I've been trying to avoid people my whole life and they still pop up, but her? She's the last person I'd want to not see and it's like poof, she's ceased from existence.

It's seven am in the morning, and Azriel is out of the dorm. He, Saamiya and their little pastel-headed friend are all grabbing breakfast together or something.

I don't really care about them, what I do care about however is the girl who's currently alone in her room.

Knowing her she's probably drowning in equal parts embarrassment and guilt. The thought of her being upset alone has me walking out of my room.

I'm staring at her door with no plans to do anything. The white six panel door has 'V' and 'S' in pink wooden letters stuck up on it. Almost every other dorm has some variation of defining factors. Some have full names and some have initials, but Valè and her dorm mate have gone down the basic route.

I could pretend like I don't know why she hasn't put her name, but I've never been the naive type. I know about the fuckers who want to come after her, the ones who think they're doing me a favour.

I thought I sent a clear enough message with Lo. Clearly not.

I barely look both ways before I knock. I probably shouldn't be this reckless but I'm starting to get really frustrated by this whole hide-and-seek game, especially since I'm not playing.

The door opens up on the third knock.

Valè's jaw nearly falls when she sees who's on the other side. "Oh my God, get in," She whispers-yells before throwing the door open and hurrying me inside.

I hardly register the fact that she's just in a robe before I'm shoved into the room. This girl and her hidden strength, man.

"No one's out there," I tell her, in hopes that it'll calm whatever fear has seized her.

The smell of vanilla and caramel hits me all at once as I watch Valè slam the door shut. It takes less than a few seconds for me to spot why. There's a large candle burning on her desk and an open book is beside it but I don't pay it any mind as I turn to her.

"How can you be sure of that?" She asks, so uncharacteristically skittish it freaks me out.

"There's this crazy thing called eyes and weirdly enough mine seems to work."

She rolls her eyes at that, but the fondness is blatant in the way her features don't drop. Instead, there's a slight lift at the corner of her lips which she quickly suppresses.