51 ➹ super rich kids

"NO ONE TOLD you to fly her out, Az

"NO ONE TOLD you to fly her out, Az." I sigh, looking over to the sulking boy who's been upset ever since the arrival of the new girl.

Truthfully, I don't get why he's this upset. Maddie's been nothing but nice and she'd been especially kind to make us a variation of her world-class cupcakes. Biscoff, Nutella, Oreo, Vanilla and a very special batch of salted caramel ones for Az.

Apparently, she works at some bakery so she's been baking since she could legally accept a paycheck. It shows in her baking as well, I lick my lips at the thought that we still have some left over.

"He says he's missed his home," he shrugs, quickening his pace. Scout had texted her earlier to meet her at the seats we'd claimed since freshman year.

I eye him sceptically. "Lie," I whisper under my breath as I simultaneously try and catch up to his excessively long strides.

Az acts so innocent, but he's a little vindictive bitch when he wants to be. "What?" He slowly blinks, feigning bewilderment.

Does he really want me to read him? Because I can. "You wanted Maddie to see him self-destruct. You wanted her to see that he's lying so he'd get his act together." Inviting Maddie wasn't entirely a nice thing for him to do.

It was a last resort.

Azriel shrugs as his eyes flicker to mine. I notice now, how sunken in and red-rimmed they are. "You don't know what you're saying," he supplies with little to no fight.

"Pfft," I wave off, "I do because I know you." He can fool the entirety of the world but he can not fool me.

"Fine," he relents and halts in his steps. "Yeah. Sue fucking me. We're graduating soon, Saamiya. If he doesn't get his shit sorted by then he's never going to do it."

I almost trip over myself as I try to stop like he did. "He's applied to colleges, hasn't he?" I ask before looking around to see if anyone's caught me almost falling. I breathe out a sigh of relief when I notice the uniform-wearing students are too busy chatting between themselves to pay me any mind.

Azriel shrugs, "I don't know, he's been stuck on being a firefighter since forever."

"That's good," I coax, "and ironic," I hum after a moment.

"No, not good. What's he going to extinguish the fire with? Midori? Soju? Vodka?"

"Azriel." I scorn.

"He drinks like an alcoholic, he acts like an alcoholic, ergo..."

"He isn't too bad. And so does Luca," No one does anything about that, how they're the perfect pair, the perfect destructive duo and them with Maxi? They're a trio brewed in hell.

"Funnily enough, that doesn't make me feel any better."

"You're full of complaints today, huh? First, it's Maddie — who by the way, you've been hanging out with an abnormal amount, and now it's Rain's career prospects." Azriel would be such at ease if he wasn't in a constant state of fretting. I don't know how he does it.