21 ➹ false confessions

you get me so high | the neighbourhood❝ wish i didn't doubt it,i wish i never ever told you all about it ❞

❝ wish i didn't doubt it,
i wish i never ever told you all about it ❞

SAGE GET'S UP from the bench in the school's courtyard sighing after explaining yesterday's events that I'd missed out on. To be honest I don't even remember yesterday in the slightest, Rain and I were too busy downing the shots to pay attention to anything else.

"And have you talked to him about it?" I ask, reverting to his last statement of Caleb never listening and just acting on things.

"Fuck him. I don't want to talk to him."

"Sage-"

"No, I don't care. He treats me like I'm some kid Luca. We're all the same fucking age, why do I have to get babied?"

"Because Caleb cares." I answer back, looking at Sage as he throws away the packaging for my lunch. He forgot to stop at the cafeteria for his own, so we shared some of mine.

I understand Sage's frustration about feeling babied by Caleb, but it's just this part of him I've gotten used to. It's like he's overcompensating for his lack of it or something. That doesn't even make sense though, it's not like he has daddy issues or anything, so I've always just written it off as being in his nature.

"Wait, what was it that Lo said that made him punch him anyway?" Sage stills and I catch onto it. "Sage, what was it?"

"It was some dumb shit; he was just joking."

"Well Caleb doesn't go punching random people for no reason." That seems like the type of shit I would do, but never Caleb. He's got a voice of reason in that head of his, constantly aware of everything he does.

"So, you're on his side?" Sage presses frowning, his blue eyes darkening as he does so. His usual happy go lucky gleam diminishing along with his common sense at the accusation.

"What? No."

"I've got biology, I'll see you later." He dismisses walking to his locker in the opposite direction of the hallway.

I go to call out for him, but I stop myself at the last second. Sage rarely gets upset but when he does it's like talking to a brick wall. You don't answer him with what he wants to hear and you're suddenly against him.

Sighing, I turn to head to my locker momentarily stopping in my tracks when I lock eyes with Maxi as she takes a route to pass me, she waves, and I nod back. A faint memory resurfacing of her being one of the girls filling the shot glasses. Other than that, we've only talked briefly here and there.

I continue my way to my locker, opening it up with my lock and eyeing the side of it where I've got my timetable written down. My eyes scan it until I fall onto the next two sessions: economics and accounting.

"Yes. No... mhm, sure. Au revoir." I turn to the familiar voice as it approaches. Caleb. He's got the school's tie loosely hanging around his neck as if he's just been hooking up with someone - or it could easily just be he finished up soccer and he didn't want to fix it up. That used to happen at Sterling a lot, his tie would be loose, and everyone would go feral at it for some reason.