𝗅𝖺𝗍𝖾 𝗇𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍𝗌 𝖻𝗒 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖻𝗅𝖺𝖼𝗄 𝗅𝖺𝗄𝖾 ─ 𝗋.𝗃.𝗅

𝘀𝘆𝗻𝗼𝗽𝘀𝗶𝘀: 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝘂𝘀 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗸𝗲𝗲𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮 𝗯𝗶𝗴 𝘀𝗲𝗰𝗿𝗲𝘁 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱.

𝘄𝗰: 𝟭𝟬𝟱𝟭

you sat on the grass by the black lake, staring out into the abyss

tears unknowingly left your eyes as you tried to blink them away. before you knew it, a sob left your mouth as you hugged your knees tighter, pressing your clothed wrist against your eyes.

you felt stupid crying over seemingly nothing, but it didn't feel like nothing.

your boyfriend of almost a year had been acting extremely suspicious recently.

he would sneak out of his common room during certain nights and return the next day tired and exhausted.

he would stay in his room and skip breakfast, the rest of the marauders explaining to you as you had your morning meal that he was just simply tired.

remus would then show up during your first lesson of the day and place a haste kiss on your forehead before turning his attention back to his textbook.

you wanted to ask him about it, find out why he has been acting odd, but you were worried he would find you clingy and so you let the matter rest.

you rested your forehead on your knees and cried into your chest.

you soon felt something brush against your bare leg. you snapped your head upwards and met direct eye contact with a black dog.

you jumped backward away from the dog.

it was rather strange for a dog to be running around hogwarts grounds, hence you were careful not to agitate it.

the dog nudged your leg with his face, silently asking you to pet it.

you reluctantly picked your hand and scuffed the top of the dog's head.

the dog stuck its tongue out in pleasure as you scratched it.

you moved your hand away to wipe your nose with the sleeve of your robe, letting out a sniffle.

the dog tilted its head to the side as it watched you try to hold back your tears.

"oh don't look at me like that, it feels like you're patronising me," you covered your face with your hands.

the dog lifted its paw to push your hand away from your face, lightly whimpering at your fragile state.

"i'm not going to talk to a dog about my bloody feelings," you chuckled dryly and shook your head, trying to feign a strong outer image.

the dog then proceeded to give you literal puppy dog eyes.

as much as you tried to hold it in, you burst out into a painful cry.

"i-i just don't get it? where's he gone off to recently?" you opened up to the black dog.

"i-i don't want to think so lowly of him b-but what if he's seeing someone? do you think sirius and james know? what if they're all just keeping mum while i look like a moron?"

the black dog snuggled up to you, almost as if to comfort you.

you were almost baffled by how human-like the dog was, but you were far too distracted by your suppressed feelings to fully process that thought.

you continued to ramble on about how all you wanted was for remus to be honest with you if he had already moved on.

recently, remus had also refused to take off his shirt. not that it was anything major, but whenever you and him were intimate, he insisted that his shirt be kept on.

you shared that with the dog as well.

"maybe i'm just not pretty enough? there are so many other girls in other houses especially. or maybe i'm just not smart enough? there's brilliant girls in ravenclaw."

"a-and i don't want to ask him about it because it'll just look like i'm a psychotic girlfriend who needs to know his whereabouts at all times."

from afar, you heard a wolf howl. you snapped out of your breakdown and looked up at the full moon.

you had not realised it was already so late into the night. you had skipped dinner and came down here just before then.

worried of what creatures that stalked the forbidden forest during the night, you quickly collected hooked your bag over you arm.

you wiped the last tear off your cheek with the back of your hand.

before you walked off, you bent down and gave the dog one last pet.

"thank you for listening, it felt nice to finally let it out, even if you are just a dog."

and with that, you quickly returned to your common room before filch could serve you a week's detention.

"you have to tell her, moony," sirius stood at the foot of remus' bed, hands on his waist.

it had been a full moon the previous night and remus was leaning against his headboard, trying not to move too much to prevent the scars from reopening.

"you know i can't pads," remus winced as he shifted himself to sit more comfortably.

"moony, she loves you mate. knowing about your lycanthropy won't change that," james tucked his comforter under his mattress and fluffed up his pillows.

"i'll tell her soon," remus assured his friends.

"that's what you said last month, and the month before that, and the month before that," sirius huffed as he fixed his hair.

remus sighed as he pulled himself out of bed and started buttoning his uniform.

"i have an inkling that you not telling y/n goes deeper than you worried about her leaving you," james eyed his friend suspiciously.

"i know that girl well. i know for a fact she'd accept me for who i am, she's too stubborn not to. but what I'm worried about is hurting her. you know what she's like, she'd do everything in her power to help us out every full moon. but i can't risk hurting her. mate, i don't think i could ever live with myself if i harm her."

"i understand moony," sirius paused for a moment to think about what to say next, "just, tell her soon. she deserves to know."

"where's peter gone?" james asked, noticing the fourth marauder was missing.

"the great hall, he heard they were serving cheesy eggs for breakfast today," sirius explained.