32

Riley's POV

Please share your thoughts with me on this chapter :-)

Unedited. Pardon errors <welp>

*

The brightness of the bright shining sun made my skin tingle as I walked side by side with Ingrid. She was taking pictures of some flowers as we walked by the garden, which she would show her pupils in class when she gets to school.

Now observing her, I realized her yellow sundress actually matched the color of the sunflower weed she was snapping.

"You know, its hard to believe my cousin is the same man that you're taking about. Who knew he was a romantic?" She purred dreamily, making me sigh.

"Let's leave that for now and focus on the reason I'm here, having this conversation with you."

She sighed. "Look Riley, I can't lie to you. You're in the wrong. You can't eat your cake and have it. One minute you say you're his ward when he told you how he feels towards you and then the next minute, you confess to wanting to kiss him. He might be the fierce leader we all look up to but he's still a man amidst all. He's human. He has blood flowing through him. He has feelings and you hurt them."

I rolled my eyes at her analysis.

"So what exactly do you mean?"

"He's probably feeling conflicted about your relationship. He doesn't want to ruin things between you both, considering the ward-guardian relationship you share."

"But I like him." I blurted, my eyes widening because this was the first time I would admit it.

My checks flushed crimson while Ingrid swiftly tucked her phone into her pocket and squealed, murmuring 'she finally admitted it' while twirling around.

"Shh. Calm down." I looked around and hoped no one heard us.

My bodyguard was a few steps away and couldn't have heard what I said but of Ingrid kept squealing, he would surely hear her.

"No way! You sneaky thing! I always knew you had the hots for him, despite acting naive all the time."

My blush intensified at her words and I looked away, biting the insides of my cheek. She was right. But I wasn't acting naive, I was merely being myself!

"Whats the way forward? Or should I give you some more minutes to gush about my sudden likeness for him?" I scowled but she giggled instead.

"It's not sudden. It's been there along." Ingrid wiggled her brows and I mentally face-palmed. Why was I even here, telling her all this? She wasn't helping in any way.

"Stop teasing me." I pouted and she raised her hands up in surrender.

"Okay. Okay. Fine, I'm sorry. Was just wondering when you would realize you were smitten. And that includes the both of you, not just you Riley. The only solution to this is to make him see you." She mused.

"How-- I mean, I realize my mistake and I truly want this to work between us. How do I make him...you know, like me? Or as you said, see me?"

"How do we know he doesn't like you already? We only need to make him see you Riley. He likes you already."

I shook my head. "You weren't there in the room yesterday, Ingrid. You should have seen how cold and nonchalant he appeared after I told him I wanted to kiss him. It was a direct slap on my face."

"You know how he is. Your words probably hurt him or made him realize he was treading a dangerous territory."

"But we were fine even after I said the thing about being his ward."