01

Word count: 1547

Like the chapter? Please leave a vote and a comment to say so. :-)

Riley's POV

*

"Knock knock."

"Who's there?"

"Tank."

"Tank who?"

"You're welcome."

"Haha. You got that one right!" Roxy giggled, doubling over a bit while I bit my lower lip in slight amusement as my thoughts were still hovering all over my mind.

I watched them distractedly, partially ignoring their childish banter as we strolled down the busy street. 

"Okay, I'll give you this one too. You'll enjoy it, no doubt." Rex cleared his throat, preparing for another line.

"Bring it on Rex!" Roxy crossed her arms over her chest as we walked side by side.

Rex cleared his throat. "Knock knock."

"Who's there?" Roxy asked, her tone sounding too excited for someone her age. I mean, this game was totally childish but they were having fun so I had no objections to that.

I even wished I could randomly have fun like they were doing. Instead, my mind was constantly filled with thoughts about the incident that happened with Dan.

"Howard." Rex said.

"Howard who?"

"Howard you like a big kiss?" His eyes widened as he directed the question at me while wiggling his brows.

I shook my head, giggling at the way he pouted his lips childishly.

"Hehe good. Another one?" Roxy smiled.

"Okay. Knock kno-"

"Oh would you guys please shut it? I'm trying to concentrate here, okay?" I snapped at the both of them and immediately stopped walking.

Rex and Roxy faced each other and did that twins thing I hated so much, communicating with their facial expressions which I couldn't understand.

Roxy finally shrugged and tilted her chin in my direction.

"Hey what's wrong?" Rex nudged my arm.

He was the new friend I'd made in the neighborhood since I started staying here and Roxy was his twin sister. Actually the both of them were the only two friends I had here and I preferred it that way. I couldn't allow myself to get too attached to anyone because the effects could be grave.

Look at what happened to Dan. The thought of it still haunted me.

After the incident that led to the death of my boyfriend last year, I'd been questioned by the police since I was his girlfriend and also a witness. Then I'd been asked to drop my details so they could call me if anything came up since they were supposed to take the case up.

The police didn't understand that this wasn't just about my late boyfriend and his sudden death.

He had been shot for nothing and the case hadn't even been publicized! To me, it looked like the whole case went far deeper than they were opening their eyes to see.

The whole case was more about the fact that those bad men were not spoken about after that day and the issue was left to pass as a robbery case. Those men were definitely not armed robbers. They weren't even scared to shoot at people in such an open place.

I saw those men shoot. They weren't dressed as robbers, they were in expensive suits and they killed someone at a park where people were passing and CCTV cameras was working. Those bad guys were supposed to be caught and jailed.