CHAPTER 14

Karna with palanquin carrying Draupadi reached Anga in the evening. Draupadi was welcomed in the palace with all the ceremony performed by Shravan's wife. After welcoming the newly weds, the maids and servants took Draupadi to take bath and change. She was bathed with milk and rose petals and a beautiful red dress with matching jwellery was arranged for her. Draupadi changed the clothes and afterwards she was escorted to chamber of King and Queen where a large bed which was beautifully decorated and scanted candles were lighted. She was placed in the centre of bed and then the maids and others left the chamber.

Draupadi POV

Draupadi was alone for the first time since the swamvar, she wanted to cry in solitude but she can't, all her hopes, dreams, expectations were destroyed. As every girl she too have dreamt about her married life with her love of life but destiny has other plans for and it was quite cruel. She got married to one person that she was desperately trying not to, so much so that out of everyone present there she has rejected him only which caused him to be insulted publically. She was sure, he married to her to get his revenge against the insults which will make her upcoming life a hell she thought. But her most dreaded moment was now, since she has accepted the marriage so she will do her duties no doubt about it but only for this her heart wasn't ready, she never even thought of spending her life with anyone but Arjun, thinking everything teardrops started falling from her eyes. She was so lost in thoughts that she never noticed the door of chamber open and Karna coming in, she still wasn't veiled herself so her tears was clearly visible then she heard her name being called.

KARNA POV

Karna entered in his chamber in hope to talk to Draupadi but upon entering he saw one side of face, he finds her lost in her thoughts and tears were flowing from her eyes, he didn't know why she affects him in worst possible way. Her overwhelming emotions of grief and sadness was the reason that made him go on complete the task of swamvar knowing exactly what will happen after that. Afterall he saw she loved Arjun and  he saw how heart broken she was when he missed the target. He knew she may be never be his own but there is part of him that admired her for courage she showed after that, for her father's reputation she agreed to even marry him, the one she rejected despite not knowing anything about him. For all she could know and guess he may be someone vindictive, Cruel and evil who will destroy her life after marriage and seeing her now he can see it was indeed what she thought. He saw her lost in thought and broken once again like swamvar, during journey he never tried to meet her because he was giving her privacy. Seeing her tears make him feel like someone strangled him, he didn't know why or may be he knew the reson and was denying because he know she can never be his. May be he has fallen for the ethereal beauty that was his wife but that thought was painful not rejoice full for him. He may never admit it aloud but one look at her and he was attracted to her but he let it go and was never angered when she rejected him but he fell for her truly not because of beauty but for the sacrifice she made for her father. It was her this act that captured his heart. Her vulnerability is what made him do what he did but seeing her tears once again he feels suffocated. He knew like him she too was struck with him because after Today Arjun will never accept her both because of his ego and pride that were shattered when he failed the task and anger because his rival completed the task and she was married to him. Karna could not even sent her back to Panchal right now because it would be disrespectful to her sacrifice. So she was struck here like a caged Bird, clearly saddened and unhappy. He was just waiting for her to register his presence but she didn't so he called her.

Third person Pov

Karna was standing near the bed and Draupadi was sitting in the middle of bed while he had a blank expression, Draupadi was crying.

Karna : Draupadi.

Hearing karna so close, Draupadi was shocked and her body trembled but first she wiped her tears her life is like this now but she couldn't show her vulnerability to him, she was Yagseni and she has to be strong, after wiping her tears she turned towards him.