CHAPTER 40

The journey continued because the ladies were there too and the group took a break in between. They reached the border the next day, where Ashwathama had to part from them so they stopped. But Ashwathama didn't say anything but glared at Duryodhana. He was irritated by his silence.

Ashwathama: Duryodhana when are you going to khandavprastha?

His words surprised the ladies while Karna didn't have any surprised expression on his face. Duryodhana was still quiet,

Ashwathama: Why are you silent? Do you think you could fool me with your casual behavior when it's pretty apparent you have planned something? Or you think you could hide the fact this trip was an excuse you found to let your brothers stay in Hastinapur while you go to khandavprastha?

Both Karna and Ashwathama were glaring at him, Duryodhana could only sigh. He knew it was very difficult to hide it from these two but at least he tried. The ladies were baffled, the talk made it pretty clear that Duryodhana was planning to go to khandavprastha that too alone. Bhanumati wanted to scold her husband for this foolishness but kept quiet because of the atmosphere there. Draupadi and Dushala were surprised too. Now Dushala understood why her eldest sibling didn't want her to come along. Three of them were pretty surprised by the understanding between the males present there.

Karna: Duryodhana!!!!

Karna's voice was somewhat abdominishing like an elder brother ready to berate the younger brother for his foolishness. Duryodhana was startled, it wasn't he had never heard this voice before but after knowing the truth the impact has deepened. He sighed,

Duryodhana: I was planning to go there in between the stay at Anga.

Karna: And….

This voice was like he was waiting for Duryodhana to speak out about the foolishness that he was going to do. Karna has his arms crossed and foot tapping on the ground impatiently even Ashwathama was glaring at him with irritation clear on his face. If not for serious talk the ladies would have burst out laughing at the expression of Duryodhana who was like a child caught stealing candy.

Duryodhana: I was planning to go there alone.

Duryodhana did it he finally said what he had planned but knee je would have to face wrath of everyone present there. Bhanumati gasped hearing what he said, Dushala had her eyes wide while Draupadi had a disbelieving expression on her face. They have heard about Khandavprastha and how it was the residence of a nag clan who were a little disgusted by humans and the leader even had protection of Devraj. It was Karna and Ashwathama who were quiet but anyone present there could feel their unpleasantness.

Ashwathama: And when were you going to implement your impeccable plan, Duryodhana?

Duryodhana gulped knowing not one but two volcanoes were just waiting to erupt and his wife was not one of them, it was really concerning matter. As she was definitely not happy with his decision especially with the look she was giving.

Karna: Ashwatthama has asked you something, Duryodhan?

Now it wasn't like Duryodhana to feel nervous at most he only felt guilty before but now with the revelation of having a loving, caring, doting and strict jyeshta, Duryodhan was feeling nervous which was completely new to him. Just knowing one truth has utterly changed the context and made things much more deeper.

Duryodhana could only rub back of his neck while stepping backwards as of trying to hide behind bhanumati,

Duryodhana: Well I have not decided that.

While confessing that he was successful in standing behind bhanumati while using her as a shield to protect from the berating he was sure he would get.

His childishness stumped the ladies, bhanumati was somewhat aware of it. Draupadi didn't know much about Duryodhana and Dushala never saw her jyeshta like this, je was always brave and protective.

Karna and Ashwatthama were furious at the stupidity of Duryodhana, they both were rubbing their forehead while looking at one of the most formidable mace fighters hiding behind his wife.

Karna: What a brilliant plan. Even bhagwan parshuram never taught me such an epic strategy. Wow Duryodhana you truly make me so proud.

Ashwatthama: You are not alone Mitra karna, believe me even my father never bestowed such knowledge upon me and I can be sure he even deemed his dear student Arjun unworthy of handling such delicate and intricate strategy. Mitra Duryodhana, you are awesome.

Karna could only agree and shake his head in commemoration of the stupidity of one he calls his best friend.

Both Karna and Ashwatthama would surely give him pieces of their mind and through their first nonetheless if the ladies would not present there.

Karna: Ashwatthama, let's settle the matter of khandavprastha first.

Ashwatthama: Yes, otherwise our great strategist Shri shri Duryodhana would definitely do something out of the world.

Karna: Exactly.

The ladies there could hold back especially hearing the over the top sarcasm from them. They burst out laughing while Duryodhana pouted but didn't dare to speak seeing the dead eyes of his friend and jyeshta.

Now Ashwatthama couldn't just go to his kingdom before everything was sorted out so three chariots moved towards Anga where the men would plan how to proceed.

After a day of travel, the group reached Anga without any issues on the way.

Anga's beauty waa truly mesmerizing. There was something about the atmosphere there which automatically elevated the mood of everyone, especially hearing the giggles of children throughout the streets. Only Duryodhana and Bhanumati ever visited Anga before that too once.

For Ashwatthama and Dushala the place was new and they couldn't believe just how beautiful the place was.

After half an hour of journey they reached the palace which was as majestic as it was beautiful. Draupadi smiled, she never thought she was missing Anga until she arrived here. She really missed the place, not because of luxury or anything but because she has so many beautiful memories here. She had missed her little friends, being part of sabha and almost everything.

Karna was happy to be back, he knew the kingdom was in safe hands in his absence but there are certain duties which he had to look after himself.

After reaching the palace, Shravan and his wife welcomed everyone in the palace. Everyone was escorted to chambers and asked to rest until the next meal while Karna immediately went to Shravan to know what all had occured in his absence.