Chapter 1 - Shard

All was calm and quiet in the moonlit night. Only the light breeze and soft night noises accompanied the man as he waited in the shadow of a grove of trees. From where he stood, he could see the sentries at their posts, two at the main gates and the other six faithfully patrolling this side of the perimeter. The officers on duty for the North wall were warming themselves in the guardhouse further back together with the other six guards for rotation. Soft light filtered out and his sharp hearing caught the faint click of dice and soft murmurings.

A few moments later, the local Crier came into sight banging loudly on his gong signaling the hour of the Boar (9 p.m. - 11 p.m ). His faithful torch bearers lighting his way as the trio made their way slowly along the main path.

Clang! Clang! Clang!

It was getting late, he would have to get back to his own post soon. Xin scanned the area again. The agreed time had come. Nothing. Where was he? He jumped startled when a dark figure stepped out from the shadows. Although Xin had been alert and expecting the Shard, the man's sudden presence still gave him a fright.

The soldier coughed and cleared his throat to recover his composure.

"Are you him? The Shard?"

The black clad figure nodded. He was hooded and masked. Only his bright eyes showed.

"Show me proof."

One eyebrow lifted in surprise but the Shard remained silent. Not everyone dared to ask for proof of identification. The Dark Sect's reputation that the Shards belong to was good enough. But the man in front of him was not just anyone.

"Well?"

The Shard blinked and shrugged. There really was no harm in fulfilling this man's request and besides, he had things to do other than quibble unnecessarily here.

Without any more fuss, he pulled out a sleeve from a leather wrist guard to show his bare forearm briefly before tucking the black cloth back into place. An intricate pattern was etched into his fair skin. Five sharp shards chased each other in an incomplete circle. In the middle was a single character, Gui (Ghost), his name.

Xin's eyes widened. This man's tattoo was almost complete! He had five shards not just the one or two of a lowly Runner of the Dark Sect. He was no Runner, he was a full fledged Messenger! A level Five Shard! Xin took an involuntary step back.

Dark eyes regarded the soldier in amusement. "Do you want your message?" he asked in a low velvety voice.

"Are you slumming? Why are you giving me the information?"

"Do you want your message?" he repeated ignoring the irrelevant questions.

"Huh? Yeah sure," Xin collected himself. The Dark Sects were mysterious indeed. Maybe this guy was being punished to perform a Runner's job. It was really none of his business how the Underworld ran their operations.

He had his proof. The man standing before him was genuine. No one would dare copy any of the Dark Sect's markings if he wanted to live long, not even one of a lowly Runner.

Quickly, Xin took out a heavy pouch and tossed it to the hooded man who caught it deftly.

"Tell me."

"I'm here to confirm that your wife did visit a man last night," he said formally.

Xin sucked in his breath and closed his eyes in sudden pain. The ruggedly handsome man's face fell and his mouth turned down.