Chapter 61 - Task

Ghost stood silently studying his friend. His relationship with the Lord of House Zhang had evolved from curiosity to tentative friendship. Over time it had blossomed into a comfortable camaraderie of mutual trust and respect. They had always kept things casual, conversations touched on common topics and sentiments of the public, current trends, gossips and other general issues. Sometimes they skirted around House Zhang's problems with 'hypothetical' scenarios where he would give fresh perspective as an outsider. At other times, Xi Xuan would lend him an ear when he needed to talk to someone or give his opinion on 'theoretical' issues he faced in the Dark Sect, given the lord's vast knowledge and information.

Although he enjoyed these 'make believe' problems where they would both hashed out probable 'solution's' to the other's problems, the best conversations were those about Zhang Xi Xiu. Ghost had an inkling it was deliberate on Xi Xuan's part when he first mentioned his baby sister who just happened to be near his age but he had no complains.

However, now Lord Zhang was asking him to do a task for him as a Shard. This would be the first formal contract between him and House Zhang. What Xi Xuan was proposing was going to be ridiculously simple, even a novice Level Two could easily do it. He would have been mildly insulted if it was not Xi Xuan himself asking him. The task was going to be loads of fun just because of the unusual circumstances. He would have willingly done the job for free but he kept his expression neutral. He was not going to let his friend know that.

"Well? What do you say?" asked Xi Xuan.

"So," Ghost started, "you want me, Lady Shuang's personal bodyguard to steal ..."

"Retrieve ... Zhangs never steal," corrected Xi Xuan primly whilst keeping a perfectly straight face. "Those items belong to me. I'm only taking back what is mine, nothing more."

"And I'm contracting you as a Shard not her bodyguard ... those two roles are separate as you well know. I'm not threatening her physically."

Ghost gave a small cough, the corner of his mouth turning up ever so slightly, "I beg your pardon ... retrieve the Night Pearls, a pair of jade bracelets, three sets of golden hair pins and a pair of pearl earrings."

"Yes, those were the items Lady Shuang failed to return and conveniently misplaced. How very careless of her," Xi Xuan said. "Can you do it?"

Ghost gave him a disbelieving look.

"Let me rephrase that ... will you do it .... for me? I'll pay you handsomely of course. This will be a proper contract if you accept."

"Hmmm, let me think ..."

Xi Xuan knew better than to rise to the Shard's bait. He had used that tactic too many times himself to fall for it. Showing his impatience would only put him at a disadvantage.

"Why can't you do it yourself? I'm sure there is at least one among your 'servants' who could do what you're asking."

"Well, yes and no," replied Xi Xuan. "I'm sure they could pass the maids easily and maybe the Elites on guard around Lady Shuang's rooms without any problems but there is the matter of the two Shards there," he made a wry face, "especially now that I've alerted one of them on the matter. I don't want my man exposed."

Ghost broke into a boyish grin.

"I'll do it on one condition. I don't want gold or silver as payment."

"You don't want money? Then what do you want?" asked the Lord in surprise. "I'll grant it only if I can afford it," he hedged.

"You can."

"I am not granting Xi Xiu's hand to you just yet, so you can forget about that. You'll have to wait until she comes of age."

Ghost couldn't help it, he blushed. "Of course, I wouldn't want it any other way."