Chapter 58 - Nightmare

Shuang finally settled down. A peaceful silence replaced the excited chatter. One by one the candles were blown out allowing darkness in to aid the maiden's slumber.

Ghost jerked his head at Key.

"Stand guard. I'm going to check on House Zhang."

Key raised his brows at Ghost's statement.

"Why?"

"I want to know how House Zhang is taking this. Lord Zhang was humiliated. He may want to take revenge on Shuang or House Zhai."

"Or House Yuan. But ... are you sure that's the real reason?" Key asked with a grin. He remembered Lady Zhang's bold smirk brimming with promised mischief before she turned into an absolute lady.

"What other reason is there?"

"Oh ... I don't know? Maybe someone wants to check in on Lady Zhang?"

"Who me? I told you why ..."

"Right. Anyways I don't think Zhang can harm Shuang. He is obviously a gentle scholar unlike his sister. She has more spunk in her than him."

Ghost studied the Three without expression. Inwardly he commanded Xi Xuan for his believable acting skills. He had even fooled Key, a fully trained level Three Shard. Gentle? Key had never seen Xi Xuan in fighting form. The Lord of House Zhang could be ruthless too. The beautiful designed fans he constantly waved about had killed quite a few who dared threatened him physically. They were deadly weapons and he knew how to use them.

"Never mind," Key said in amusement mistaking Ghost's prolonged silence for distraction of him mentioning Lady Zhang. "I'll go check on House Zhang for you. I need to exercise my legs," Key cut him off patting his newly healed leg. "You might get distracted by the pretty scenery there," the Three said scampering off hurriedly before the Five could stop him.

"I never get distracted when I'm on a mission," Ghost muttered grumpily to the empty air. "I don't!"

Key reported back a little after two hours had gone by. The Shard had not only checked on House Zhang but made a through surveillance on all possible assailants to Shuang.

"House Zhang is in a mess. Lord Zhang has been drinking. His sister and aids are keeping a close watch on him," Key reported seriously. "Lord Zhai also has two of his guards keeping an eye on him."

"I didn't expect anything less."

"House Yuan is ecstatic at their unexpected stroke of luck. While his parents have retired to continue celebrating at their private quarters, Lord Yuan is still at the empty banquet hall with his friends. They are quite drunk and toasting to Lord Yuan's win."

"Yes, he did win his bet," said Ghost distastefully.

Key screwed up his face. "Thank God our contract ends soon. I wouldn't want to be near Shuang when she realizes her mistake in choosing Lord Yuan. He doesn't love her at all."

"We tried to warn her several times but she wouldn't listen," said Ghost quietly. "I thought she would come to her senses and choose to honor her Father's plans."

Key sighed shaking his head. "I don't understand how she can make such an important decision based on how someone looks. She chose Lord Yuan because he is younger and good-looking? Then changes her mind when she saw how glamorous Lord Zhang is? How shallow."

"As long as Shuang is physically safe," Ghost shrugged at the judgemental Three. "It's not our place to control her thoughts or her actions."

"She is young yet and was swayed by Yuan's sweet words," Key mused."I must admit, he's quite the sweet talker, maybe even better than me."