Chapter 39 - Lady Shuang's Test

Lord Zhang snapped his fan shut with a snap, a cynical smile forming on his thin lips. His plan was taking effect and results were trickling in. He would soon know friend from foe.

As far as he knew, several smaller Houses had shown interest in the spreading news. Rumours of wealth and military power unrivaled next only to that of House Zhai was very enticing indeed. Just the affiliation to the Ruling House itself was a prize. Marrying into the Ruling family guaranteed strong backing and the upper-hand should any future conflicts arise.

Many saw this as an opportunity to strengthen their own Houses and increase political power. The only thing standing in their way was House Zhang. Any vying candidates had to consider House Zhang's standing as one of the main Houses in Zinnu. Not much was known about the newly appointed Zhang Xi Xuan save he was a gentle scholar who usually avoided the public. Although his father had promised not to interfere with is son's reign, the formidable old Lord was still lurking around.

House Zhang's continued prestige and reputation now depended on the new Head. Surely, Lord Zhai would prefer a more manly son-in law? One who would be better suited to House Zhai's strong military image and reputation. Maybe Lord Zhai could be persuaded if one swore undying loyalty and fealty to House Zhai. Other than that, bride gifts rivaling House Zhang's and specialties of their own provinces' should be offered. Horses, hunting dogs, weapons, gems, leather and hides: all were more practical then fish! Even the ample supply of timber or the humble grains and wheats were better.

Logic determined the person to approach was Lord Zhai not Lady Shuang. The Ruling Lord was the true power. His daughter was very beautiful but in the end, she was just a pawn, a means to an end.

Of course House Zhang's sea foods and produce was highly prized and even coveted but in the long run, wasn't everything else more useful? Fish was a luxury not a necessity. Many thought they could do better, much better. Trumping House Zhang should not be too difficult.

Temptation was great and mounting. Talks were rampant and many plotted behind closed doors. Drunken boasts were uttered and jealousy raged among the eligible but none were brave nor willing enough to risk Lord Zhai's ire should carefully laid plans fall through.

All were noted by House Zhang, carefully categorized and updated for future action and reference.

In the end, only one House dared take action.

"So, Lord Yuan's son has taken the bait," drawled Xi Xuan.

"Yes, it would seem so."

"Does his father know?"

"Yes, he does. Lord Yuan wants to use this opportunity to get Lord Zhai's help. He wants to enforce his plan for exclusive rights to supply his gems for all of Zinnu. As we know, he currently has to compete with several other smaller Houses in his home province. So far, Lord Zhai has preferred to stay out of it but if Lord Yuan becomes his in-law, Lord Zhai may feel obligated to help."

"So, this involves House Yuan not just Yuan Shun Xi. Lord Yuan wants to use House Zhai's military to gain monopoly of the gem trade." Xi Xuan flicked open his fan and started fanning himself. The rhythmic action helped clear his mind. "... and his son wants credit for securing House Zhai's help."

"Does this mean that Yuan Shun Xi is only making use of Lady Shuang?"

"It would seem so," Xi Xuan said thoughtfully.

"But ..."

"What?"

Captain Zhang gave a small apologetic cough.

"Umm, ... he and Lady Shuang have met up a few times since their first meeting, taken walks, had tea and ..." Zi Min trailed off unsure how to complete his report.